How to make assignee required / mandatory when creating an issue (Jira 4.2)?

Carlos Reyes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 29, 2012

G'Day Jira gurus,

A project lead asked me to make in her project the assignee mandatory when creating an issue. However there is not "required" option in the configuration screen (See pic) . I appreciate if anyone could assit me in how to achieve to make the assignee mandatory in a Jira project. I am using Jira 4.2

Regards

Carlos

PS: The project is set up that the default assignee is Unassigned (If this is of help)

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Chin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 29, 2012

Hi Carlos,

In such case, there is not way to do it by default in JIRA, however this can be achieve by using a third party plugin call JIRA Suite Utilities , which has a set of conditions and validations to personalize workflow of JIRA.

To perform that:

1. Install the JIRA Suite Utilities. For install the plugin please refer to: Managing JIRA's Plugins#InstallingaJIRAPlugin
  2. Use the 'Fields Required' validator function in your specified transition. Please refer to: https://studio.plugins.atlassian.com/wiki/display/JSUTIL/JIRA+Suite+Utilities+Workflow+Validators
  3. Add the 'Assignee' field as required.

Good luck.

Regards,

John Chin

Carlos Reyes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 29, 2012

Thanks John for the answer. I negotiated a compromised solution with the project lead but I might try this answer in the medium term in my dev/test Jira instance

Cheers

Fabian Meier
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 14, 2013

What if someones clicks the Assign action?

0 votes
Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 29, 2012

Hi, the assignee cannot be a required field as it already has a default value, i.e. unassigned. The only other option is to default this to the component or project lead.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 29, 2012

Could you check if you have "allow unassigned issues" on or off in Global Configuration?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 29, 2012

Bother, that rules out my initial thought on what might be wrong. I must admit I'm now a bit stuck, because I can only think of one way of surpressing the "required" flag, and you've just ruled it out.

Carlos Reyes
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 29, 2012

Hi Nic,

Yes I have in the global option in the item "Allow unassigned issues" is On

Regards

Carlos

Suggest an answer