How to make a rest API call with OAuth Edited

Hi ,

How to make a rest API call with OAuth to JIRA server like

How to send consumer key, consumer secret, signature type ?

if they have to be sent through headers. what are the headers to be added and with which names?

I want to make API requests from my client application(web application) to Jira for creating project and custom fields, now am using basic authentication which is working fine. 

Thanks in advance.

1 answer

0 votes

Hi Ahbinay,

There is a guide you can start with titled JIRA REST API Example - OAuth authentication.  It explains how to allow REST clients to authenticate using OAuth.

Cheers,

Branden

Hi Branden,

Thanks for the response, I have gone through the guide on OAuth example.

But, the example uses a separate jar for obtaining access token which is required to be sent with each API call. 

My program makes multiple API requests to JIRA for which I am using Spring REST Template to GET and POST data.

How should I send Access Token with each API request? and Is there a way to obtain Access Token without using the jar given by JIRA.

Regards,

Abhinay

Hi Abhinay,

Here are a couple resources I can provide:

The Atlassian 3-legged OAuth Example repository

The Java Source Code is there as well: Source

Read through the source and the examples and you should be able to create your own methods.

Cheers,

Branden

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Sep 18, 2018 in Jira

What modern development practices are at the heart of how your team delivers software?

Hey Community mates! Claire here from the Software Product Marketing team. We all know software development changes rapidly, and it's often tough to keep up. But from our research, we've found the h...

21,338 views 2 7
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you