How to make JIRA faster?

Borek Bernard February 2, 2012

Are there any simple tips on how to make the default JIRA installation faster and more responsive? We use MS SQL Server as a backend.

I know JIRA is a big piece of software and that kind of justifies slower page loads but still, if there are some simple tips on how to improve JIRA's performance, I'd like to try them.

3 answers

1 accepted

9 votes
Answer accepted
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 2, 2012
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 2, 2012

Jamie beat me to what I'd post, but I'd also add "use a proper browser" as a client side improvement. That pretty much means "not Internet Explorer" to most users.

Like Christopher_Chalmers likes this
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 2, 2012

Totally agree, with the tacit understanding that that's not always possible ;-)

Borek Bernard February 2, 2012

JIRA is slow for us even in Chrome, I guess it doesn't have anything to do with the client side in our case.

Will read through the documentation, thanks.

Like # people like this
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 2, 2012

I'd ask a separate question with specifics... eg what screens, what plugins, how many issues. If you have experience inhouse try load-testing and profiling... http://blogs.onresolve.com/?p=95 plus loads of info on this subject elsewhere.

ArturP July 21, 2014

Hi Jamie, plz, help me to find your article, if it was yours :-) I'am asking about this two:

http://blogs.onresolve.com/2009/04/how-to-make-jira-twelve-times-faster/

http://blogs.onresolve.com/2009/04/how-to-make-jira-6-12-times-faster/

Site onresolve.comis down :-(

M. Sand April 19, 2016

It is not always an internet explorer problem guys. Open you mind a bit more. JIRA is slow. Nothing to do with browser.

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 19, 2016

Jamie's original answer covers that comment.  It can be a range of things.  One of the possibilities is the browser.  As we've proved it's the browser in several cases (and IE is by far the largest culprit of bad browser behaviour).

1 vote
Devu Heda
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 4, 2012

We have a large issue / project base. Here is some generic tips i can share

1. We used Oracle DB as we had inhouse expertise, its a deicated schema on a seperate machine with very good hardware
  2. Provided enough resources for our VM (hardware and memory) where JIRA runs and its a dedicated ESX for the Atlassian Products (JIRA/Confluence)
  3. Indexing is on a seperate drive altogether (fast access disc), helps a lot
  4. Add plugins carefully, some plugins are killers ....
  5. No N/W hops between the DB and production machine
  6. GZIP Compression enabled

1 vote
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 2, 2012

Suggest an answer