How to make Feature link show up on Story?

Michael Clinton August 8, 2017

We are planning our Program Increment planning session and we'd like to print out all stories associated to a particular Feature.

The stories have the same Epic and that Epic has now been associated with the new Feature. But I'm not seeing the Feature on the stories.

I'd like to query all stories under a specific Feature, so that I can print them up and cut them out.

1 answer

0 votes
Kim Wall
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 22, 2017

Hi Michael!

It sounds like your portfolio hierarchy is configured as Feature > Epic > Story, correct?

I can think of a couple of options that might work for you.

1. Use the Scope Report. If you view the Scope Report and change your view to the Feature level, you'll see each feature with their children nested below, just like when you're looking at the Scope view with the timeline. But, in the Scope Report view, you also have an export option which sends all of that information to a CSV. In my example, my hierarchy is Initiative > Epic > Story but the same applies. If you look at what is displayed on the screen on the left, you can see that it exports it in that order on the right in the CSV file and you're able to then take what you need from that sheet. 
    Export.png 
  2. Your other option requires the paid 3rd party add-on ScriptRunner for JIRA. They document their new Portfolio for JIRA JQL functions here. You would need to use the portfolioChildrenOf(Subquery) function. The following is the raw query example, but you'd want to streamline and simplify this query as demonstrated in the doc. For this purpose, I expanded out the query so you could see what it was doing. 

If PM-1 is the Feature I care about, this query will show me all of the Epics and Stories that are related. They will not be ordered automatically in parent-child order.
    (issueFunction in portfolioChildrenOf("issueKey = PM-1")) OR (issueFunction in issuesInEpics('issueFunction in portfolioChildrenOf("issueKey = PM-1")'))

In your case, I think that Option 1 may very well be your best option as it outputs items in parent-child order and it does not require the 3rd party paid add-on.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Kim

Suggest an answer