How to maintain issue names when moving between projects

Luke Wirth May 25, 2023

Hi,

Currently when we move Jira issues between projects the workflow asks for the name to use within the new project however we simply keep the same name from old to new do this field is unnecessary.  Is there a way for this field to be auto populated with the 'current' issue name at all?

Just to try and explain more, this is Step 3 of 4 in the move process and the step looks like the image provided.  It is the "Epic Name" field we are trying to automatically populate from the original issue name.

Thanks

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 26, 2023

Hi Luke,

I would simply copy the Summary field from your issue before you start the Move process. Since you are doing each one manually, it would be easy to paste it in there as you make the move. 

Luke Wirth June 4, 2023

Thanks John, sorry for the slow reply, I was on leave last week.  Copying and pasting seems to be the way forward for now, I just need to remember to copy the title before I start the move process!

Thanks again

Luke

Like John Funk likes this
0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 25, 2023

Hello @Luke Wirth 

Welcome to the Atlassian community.

There is no image in your post.

What type of issue are you moving between projects?

Do you change the issue type as part of that move process?

Are you moving more than one issue at a time, through the bulk change feature?

Luke Wirth May 25, 2023

Hi @Trudy Claspill 

Thank you for the quick reply....I have no idea where the image went, but I will try and attach again...

JiraMove.jpg

We only move one issue at a time, it is not a bulk move, and yes we do change the issue type during the move process (from "New Feature" to "Epic").  However even if the issue type remains the same ("Epic" to "Epic") we are still prompted for the Epic Name during the move process.

I hope this helps :) 

Suggest an answer