How to log time or deal with time spent in non-development tasks!?

We are a large scrum team, in two continents, many of the developers in the scrum team spend many many hours during the day doing things other than actual development of the sprint, to name few tasks that consume time:

- VPN connectivity

- Site to Site connection issue

- Deployment and build preparation 

- meeting after meeting after meeting 

the team are complaining to me as a scurm master that lot of their time get wasted doing all of that rather than actually developing (and sadly we don't have a clear vision for lot of the backlog items, nor do we have all the environment and configuration set up- hence the waste of time)

anyway, how can we track and be able to tell the managment clearly that we are slow in progress of sprints because our resources are always doing those things? 

i thought about creating tasks and asking them to log the task? is that the most pheasable way?

1 answer

0 votes

Your first instinct is correct.  Create non-development issues and log time to them. 

Where you put them is worth thinking about.  Some places will create an "overhead" type project, or several (we've got holidays, sickness, a general management one, internal support, etc etc etc), where people can log work without it creeping into development planning.  If you can keep it simple, or include it in your planning, then you can keep the issues in your development projects.  Some people even include them in sprints so that they can do a burn down on everything, although I suspect your need is to avoid that - you're trying to show why your people are not working on real work, so you probably don't want to plan for it..

I'd strongly recommend having non-development issue types so that you can easily distinguish them from real work.  Even just a catch all of "overhead" or "non dev task" is enough. 

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Sep 18, 2018 in Jira

What modern development practices are at the heart of how your team delivers software?

Hey Community mates! Claire here from the Software Product Marketing team. We all know software development changes rapidly, and it's often tough to keep up. But from our research, we've found the h...

21,713 views 2 7
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you