How to lock an issue while I'm editing but unlock when I'm done so that others can continue editing?

lichangche April 29, 2021

Sorry for the long title but I just don't want to ask another "how to lock an issue" which has been answered in the way that does not work for me.

Specifically, I'm editing a description of an issue and I wish to lock it so that no one else can do the same until I unlock it.

Without this, it is hard for the team to synchronize the editing - the description may evolve and change and it has caused headache for us.

Thanks for your help,

Lichang

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 30, 2021

Hi @lichangche welcome on the community... i need to know... are you on Team managed project or Company managed project?
https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/learn-the-basics-of-team-managed-projects/

lichangche April 30, 2021

Thanks Martin for your quick reply,

We are running under company managed project.

Regards,

Lichang

Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 30, 2021

Ok, so there is only one way how to achieve it natively. You can't simply "lock"/"unlock" Description field, but you can configure workaround. You need to

1. separate screen for Edit operation (configuration of Issue Screen Scheme and Issue Screen)
  2. remove Description field from Edit screen
  3. create new Screen with Description field only
  4. create new transition in your workflow (Edit Description) and associate new screen with this transition
  5. handle permission for this transition by its Condition configuration

I hope it helps. Feel free to ask if you have more questions...

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 30, 2021

There is no way to "lock" an issue for edit, other than the one method I suspect you've already found (use the workflow as an edit tool, such that when the issue is in an "edit" status, it can only be edited by the person who put it into that state)

Suggest an answer