How to link to local Files and folders as well as shared netwok drives?

Andreas Schierz January 30, 2017

Help needed!

I´ve digged arround in the answers but i didn´t find a solution for my "Problem":

I need to add links in JiraEntries to local files and Folders as well as shared Network drives, but i can´t figure out how to open the Files my local machinne. The Link works, i´ve tried it with Edge-Addressfield. I have to do this, because some attachments are really big.

What would you suggest?

Would be great if there´s an more or less easy way.

bg,

Andy

1 answer

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 30, 2017

Could you explain what "local" means here?  Do you mean files on the JIRA server, on another server or on your client machine?

Andreas Schierz January 30, 2017

"local" means the client machine(s). We use a structure like this:

JIRA runs on a Server

Each employee has its own Laptop (of Course;)

the Main storage is on a NAS with several Shares.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 2, 2017

Sorry for the delay, Answers has been flaky recently.

I'm afraid you need to tell us what "local" means.  Does it mean "local on the JIRA server", "local on the client machine"?

Andreas Schierz February 2, 2017

no Problem...

with local i mean "local on Client machines"

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 3, 2017

Ok, then you'll need all of your users to be using identical paths on their machines, and you can put in a url of format file://path/to/the/data

Obviously, you will also need to have some way of replicating all the files across those client machines too.

Andreas Schierz February 3, 2017

thx, for the answer.

i´ve tried that already (eg.: "file://C:/Users/schierza/Documents/Mappe1.xlsx " -> File does not open

i also tried with 5 slashes "file://///" and so on.

Again: Or Employees save their data on on shared drives, where anybody has Access.

I do not want to copy those files to our JIRA Server, but enter a link in Jira, which opens the File or Folder from a shared drive on anybodies local machine  (not the JIRA Server)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 6, 2017

Ok, the file: approach will only work if your browser understands the type of url, and it can open the file of that type (or has been configured to open it in another application)

The main problem with using local files is that your users all have to use exactly the same path structure - it's one of the reasons that support for this is non-existent (using file: is not a proper way to do it, it's a fiddle at best)

Using shared drives would be better, as they should be available over a URI which won't vary by user (some types publish URLs as well, which would be better)

Andreas Schierz February 15, 2017

Thx for your answer.  I´ve tried it with shared drives... JIRA accepts the URL, but again, the file doesn´t open on my machine.

Like Relja Mihajlovic likes this