How to link issues from one jira server to another when one of them cannot access the another?

Sorin Sbarnea (Citrix)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 10, 2012

I have two Jira instances: private one and public one. The public one is running on a DMZ and can be accesed from the internet but it cannot access the private instance.

People need to be able to link issues from one to another.

The common use case is: someone detects that a problem reported on public instance is real and it want to add it to the private tracker in order to solve it.

Both issuses need to be linked one to another.

How can I achieve this?

1 answer

0 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 10, 2012
Sorin Sbarnea (Citrix)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 10, 2012

This is only the wiki page and it states nothing about this use case. I think it is the "usual" use-case to have the two jira intances on different networks, this being the main reason for having two instances intead of a single one.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 10, 2012

on the wiki page, there is an explanation, what you have to do to be able to create links from one jira instance to another one. What else do you want ?

Sorin Sbarnea (Citrix)
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 10, 2012

The wikipage contains "0" information regarding having jira on different networks. It assumes that each instance can contact the other, which in real life is not the case.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 10, 2012

there is said, what is required to link two jira instances. If the requirements cannot be fulfilled, the Jira Instances cannot be linked.

I think the only thing you can do then is create a custom field on both sides and insert the URL to the other issue manually, but maybe someone else has a better idea.

Sorin Sbarnea (Citrix)
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 10, 2012

Currently I do have a plugin on that used to work like this: you pick clone on the external instance and it will call, using user browser, the internal instance for importing or linking the issue from the pubic instance. As it makes sense, the private instance can access the public one, but not the other way arround.

The problem: the plugin is not even v2 compatible and is very hard to configure (hardcoded projects,...)

Suggest an answer