How to link Jira Versions to Stash (git) version tags

I'm trying to switch over from our current issues and change management system(*) to JIRA, STASH (and optionally BAMBOO). Currently we can tag our new versions/releases from our issues application when releasing a version. This kind of integration seems to be missing from Atlassian suite.

Trying also to use git-flow model for code development, does not make things easier with Stash. In my testing I have to do a lot of manual steps when releasing a version with Jira+Stash: Create a version in Jira, release it, follow git-flow model of release start ... release finish using the same version names (or doing it via Stash as an alternative). This feels cumbersome and error prone. Has someone found some best practises for easying this kind of integration?

I wouldn't mind doing things from JIRA or Stash, but ideally I'd like to release a version from only one of them and have the release happen on both.

A possible solution would be from the JIRA release management page, find the most recent commit included in the JIRA version (let's call it X), and check that all other commits are ancestors of it (otherwise warn of possible problems when tagging in stash). Then automatically launch the tagging process in Stash: if X is in an open release branch, finish it, tagging the new version. If X is not in an open release branch, open one based on X, finish it, tag...

Going the other way around, another possibility would be starting from Stash, previous to git-flow release finish, do sanity checks against JIRA (the commits present in JIRA's version with the same name as the release branch are all ancestors of our current release branch). Then on release finish, make Stash also "release" the corresponding JIRA version.

Both options would requiere either much creative scripting or some additional support form Atlassian tools. (And still this is not ideal since we're not checking whether we are including extra code in our stash release that belongs to a different JIRA version)

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

(*) not relevant to the case but currently we use ClearQuest for issues and version planning, and ClearCase for VCS. Transitioning a "version" issue type in ClearQuest will tag a version in ClearCase code (taking into account that no extra activities not present in CQ version are included in the tagged version).

2 answers

It's a shame you haven't had any responses to this query. We are trying to do something similar. I was googling how to do it and found this question.

I know. It's a pity, since this is one of the major hurdles preventing us from completely migrating to Atlassian. I find myself 8 months later with the same doubts I had then. But now its 2016, maybe we'll get lucky and Atlassian will include some functionality along these lines.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,265 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot