How to keep two JIRA issues' status in sync automatically?

Hi,

I have two JIRA issues from two different projects and I need one issue‘s status automatically changed if the status of the other issue gets changed. I tried to ‘Link issue 1 to issue 2’ and it did not work. Do you know if there is a way to achieve this?

7 answers

2 votes
Dieter Community Champion Nov 12, 2011
I'm not aware of any plugin that can do this. for sure this could be done by an event listener. event listeners can even be implemented in groovy, just look here https://studio.plugins.atlassian.com/wiki/display/GRV/Listeners The event listener would need to check if any of the two issues changed the status. If yes one would have to execute the same transition on the other issue. To detect the status change easily one could define a dedicated event for that and create this one in the workflow. That way you just need to check if this specific event was thrown.

We are looking for the same functionality. Has anyone already implemented a groovy script that does this?

You'll need to do some scripting to achieve that, either by using listeners or post-functions. You could use Groovy or JJUPIN or anything that allows you to customize the workflow.

The reason why you won't find that ready-made is because you can have different workflows for the two issues and transitions are the only "legal" way to change the status of an issue. What happens when for issue A you have Status1 -> Status2 -> Status3 and for issue B Status4->Status5. There are a lot of variables in this use case, so it's unlikely that you'll find a solution that will work out of the box.

For detecting the change, you could either use Dieter's answer or use external automation to query the JIRA change tables. For updating the second JIRA, you can JIRA Command Line Interface progressIssue or similar techniques. I prefer the external automation route as it is more flexible in handling many similar situations including 2-way changes. Using Bamboo (for instance) to run the automation makes it easy to control (to handle outage cases), keep logs for problem determination, and provide notifications.

Thank you both for your responses. If we have to do extra work to achieve this, I wonder what kind of 'link functionality' that JIRA 'link issue' can provide us besides information only? One more question regarding the type of link issue, it seems that the 'Associate' and 'Depend' are about the same, 'Duplicate' and 'Clone' are the same? Does anyone find the usage of linked issue is helpful to them and how?

Linking issues is really a different questiion. The concept is very helpful for many installations. You can add your own link types like linking requirements to development issues for instance. Duplicate means that the underlying issue reported is essentially the same and usually a fix for one with fix the other. Normally, you fix one issue and then close the other issue as a duplicate (reason code) and link them with duplicate. Cloners is different. It says that one issue was copied from another issue for some reason like creating additional tasks for someone else or copy work to a new iteration that was not totally complete in an earlier iteration.

0 vote
Renjith Pillai Community Champion Nov 13, 2011

Linking of issues is very useful to establish the relations between issues. This gives traceability of related issues. And the type of links are just for the readablity to clearly indicate what type of relation exists between the issues.

0 vote
Renjith Pillai Community Champion Nov 13, 2011

Also a third option (apart from event listeners and command line interface) is to use the SOAP interface of Jira and it is pretty easy to keep the issues status in sync

Please use the add-on "Status-Sync for distributed workflows" for JIRA available on the Atlassian Marketplace to set status of all subtasks, related user stories of Epics or linked issues on one hand or the related parent on the other. You can configure the link direction to determine the target issue(s) as well as the workflow transition to be executed by the first (e.g. start working) or last of the sub tasks (e.g. finished work) or the parent issue (e.g. in case of canceled or postponed).

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,308 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot