How to include time tracking epic and story and task

koteswararao May 19, 2019

How to include time tracking epic and story and task,

under epic + story and task

2 answers

4 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 20, 2019

Hello Koteswararao,

I understand that you are trying to sum up the time tracking of your Stories and tasks and add them to their common Linked Epic. Have I understood it correctly?

If that's what you meant, It is not possible to achieve this feature using only JIRA inbuilt features, however, the Epic Sum Up add-on give exactly what you are looking for.

Please, check if this add-on would be an option for you.

Additionally, feel free to vote and watch the feature requests below raised to add this functionality to JIRA to increase its priority and also receive notifications about any updates:

Sum story points or hour estimates for any epic links

- As an Admin, I would like the Time Tracking Report to relate between the epic and its child stories

Vitor Seabra December 14, 2021

This is crazy. You have the same logic for subtasks and their parents, but not for epics children. And as I can see people are requesting it since 2013... It's lack of interest from Jira's side.

Like # people like this
Andreas Haaken _APTIS_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 14, 2021

Hi @Vitor Seabra ,

there are some things going on at this. Atlassian announced to deprecate some of the link types to use only the parent link so that this can be used for all connections.. 

But just to understand your reply: what is the benefit of using the same logic for subtasks and issue parental links? 

I am asking because we want top understand the needs of Users to put support for this into Epic Sum Up.

cheers 

Andreas

Vitor Seabra December 14, 2021

Hi Andreas! Thank you for responding me.

Let me explain how it is my usage:

I work with the following hierarchy: Epics > Story, Bugs, Tasks > Subtasks.

I use the Time Tracking field for its obvious purpose and it is very important for reporting here in my company and for measuring productivity.

Currently if I log some time in this field in a Subtask, it automatically sums up to the Story/Bug/Task.

So, for example, we refined a Story into 3 children subtasks. Each subtasks took 2 hours for being done, automatically the Story Time Tracking field will be recorded as 6h. This is wonderful and helps me a lot.

The point is that when I want to apply the same logic to Epics, it doesn't work. It is pretty clear the connection between the Stories/Bugs/Tasks and the Epics (they are children and parent), but for a lack of functionality, it doesn't work.

There are some apps that fulfill this room, but I have to pay them and I won't. I already pay thousands of USD monthly. I also tried implementing automations but didn't work either.

My workaround is bulk extracting all the issues into a CSV file and making the sums in a Excel sheet by myself. This is counterproductive and I guess Jira team could easily implement this. As mentioned before, it has been requested since 2013.

Like # people like this
Andreas Haaken _APTIS_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 15, 2021

In totally agree your point. 

But it seems that this will not be served in the near future, there are more highly requested features on the rooster. That´s one of the reasons that vendors start building apps.

Your case is maybe similar to ours some years ago: we need Story Points for some developers teams and time tracking for project accounting. Seeing both a t the same time was not possible and may be out of scope for Atlassian. 
So we created Epic Sum Up, that adds a summary panel to add metrics to show a live report like this:
(each progress bar is clickable)
screenshot-aptis.atlassian.net-2021.12.15-15_42_53.png

anyway, if you want  to avoid cost, you should consider value and license prices against your own work. 

So, I think it can save time to use a tool, but understand if you want to avoid that and do it on your own. In the Jira Cloud you don´t have that much capabilities in scripting and automations. sadly.. 

looking forward to your feedback..

cheers Andreas

Like Vitor Seabra likes this
3 votes
Rhys Diab _Agile Docs_
Marketplace Partner
October 15, 2019

Hi Koteswara,

You can use Agile Docs to sum up logged hours of issues in your Epics.

You can also see how far along your issues are based on the progress of sub-tasks.

Opens up right inside your project dashboard.

time-tracking-tree.png Or, if you want a zoomed-out view of Epics only, you can uncheck "Expand All Epics”:

time-tracking-collapsed-epics.pngIn addition, you can use your existing Quick Filters to locate any set of Epics you like.

Hope that helps!

Kasun Udara Perera October 10, 2022

Still, this requires an additional payment. 

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer