How to include subgroups from Active Directory?

Dario d November 21, 2013

I'm trying to integrate Jira with AD. All users in AD are located in the "Users" group and the subgroup "Domain Users" (i.e. a group within the "Users" group). Not all users are present in the top-level "Users" group.

My Base DN looks like this:

cn=Users,dc=example,dc=com

However, this syncs only users which are directly in the "Users" group, and nothing from it's subgroups. Is there a way to include the "Domain Users" in the sync? (Enabling 'nested groups' did do anything).

BTW, This is the DN of the "Domain Users" group:

cn=Domain Users,cn=Users,dc=example,dc=com

Any help is greatly appreciated.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Tiago Comasseto
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 21, 2013

Hi Dario, the Domain Users group is an special group in AD, it's called primery group. By default all users in AD are members of this group, but its membership association is different than the other groups, this group doesn't have the attribute MemberOf.

Currently JIRA doesn't support primery groups, but there's already an improvement request to implement this ability: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-29187

As a workaround, you may associate the user your want to see in JIRA with another LDAP group or set up the User Directory so that it uses the Default Group Membership functionality.

I hope it helps

Suggest an answer