How to include sub-task in Jira sprint report?

Dror Bernstein August 30, 2017

Hi,

I'm working with sprint report in order to analyze our preformances and work ration.

I noticed that sub-tasks are not included in this report.

Most of our developement tasks are actually sub tasks and it's super important to include them in my report.

How can I add them to the sprint report? 

Thanks!

3 answers

8 votes
Perkuto Tech October 5, 2020

I agree 100%. Stories end up being too big of a chunk and all get moved to "done" in the last week of our sprints. 

We ended up breaking it down into subtasks so we can see/track progress on a daily and weekly basis. 

I was very disappointed to see how "loose" the integration between tasks and subtasks have been developed -  ignoring subtask points in planning and reporting.

Jira is useless when it comes to tracking progress of our sprints.

0 votes
Roberts Čāčus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 20, 2022

Hi @Dror Bernstein ,

I suspect the problem is tied to the fact that sub-tasks themselves are not tied to the Sprints. Instead, they get the connection through their parent issues.

While I can't suggest a solution for the default Jira Sprint reports, you may want to look at third-party options. For example, the eazyBI Sprint reports will also take into account work logged in sub-tasks. You can observe one such example in a Sprint burn-down report from our Demo account - https://eazybi.com/accounts/1000/cubes/Issues/reports/144076-time-tracking-burndown-in-selected-sprint. Adding the Issue Type dimension to the report pages and selecting the "Sub-task" type will reveal work logged for some Sprints.

See other Sprint related reports here - https://eazybi.com/accounts/1000/dashboards/5956-sprints-overview.

Best,

Roberts // support@eazybi.com

0 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 30, 2017

Hi @Dror Bernstein,

You can't, unfortunately. Tracking work in JIRA is based on standard tasks (issues) and not subtasks. There is a lot of questions and discussion around this topic on the community, e.g. this thread has some interesting background reading around the topic.

A common scenario is to use Epics and Stories / Tasks rather than tasks and subtasks.

Dror Bernstein September 3, 2017

Thanks Walter!

Is there aggreegation of subtasks estimations into tasks?

I want to investigate our prodactivity level by comparing sprint estimations vs. actual. Since we are breaking the tasks into sub tasks I want to make sure I can get all my team spent time somehow.

Deleted user February 8, 2019

The problem is that one must MANUALLY associate "Tasks" to Stories. 

If Jira is going to carry around SubTask as the auto-association unit, then in the Burn-down/Burn-Up reports rather than just Stories, and Issues, it should also include "Sub-Tasks", because if one MANUALLY associates "Task" to "Story" and shows the Burn-up (for example), and switches to "Issues" it shows the resultant completed work items.

This is what everyone is trying to achieve. If Jira would simply DITCH this wonky association and recognize that 

SUB-TASK <==> TASK

Then a lot more humans would be happier.

Anyone at Atlassian actually listening to these threads?

Like # people like this
Artem Drobotenko September 7, 2020

UP!
That is still a 100500% valid concern!
Why on Earth sub-tasks exist, if they are not counted in as issues and pieces of work that have time spent on them?!
Angry...

Like # people like this
David Hiatt January 19, 2022

So I'll be the odd man out here and say I don't understand why you would want sub-task story points counted in reporting.  In the Jira hierarchical relationship, if a parent story is 5 story points and you point a sub-task at 3 and a sub-task at 2, the reporting would surely count both the story and sub-tasks, doubling the estimate.  In fact, there is no dynamic update from the story point field from sub-task to story.  We ask that scrum masters not have the team estimate sub-tasks, they are just a means to an end in support of the level we DO estimate, which is the story level.  If the team uncovers what would be about a 3 point sub-tasks and a 5 point sub-task for the 5 point story, in conversation, then its time to account for that in the story estimate, making it 8 at the story level...

If all of this still doesn't work because you think the progress needs to be tracked at a more granular level, then why not break down the stories further? 

If scrum and timeboxes are two to three weeks, why worry about tracking in minutiae anyway?

Like # people like this
Indu Haridass January 25, 2023

Hi,

Can anyone please guide me in pulling data from Sprint report for individuals for a particular sprint? 

Usually in our project user stories are assigned to Teamleads and subtasks are created for dev and QA team. In completed sprint report, I couldn't find the subtask details and  only Teamlead name is reflected under done status 

Like Luis Dominguez likes this
Luis Dominguez February 9, 2023

I am having the same issue trying to gather reporting for subtasks details completed.  Have you received any feedback from @jira 

Indu Haridass February 9, 2023

@Luis Dominguez No response from Jira. We have started creating individual user stories for dev , QA with no subtasks. The dependent stories are interlinked , which is the only way to gather individual report at the end of Sprint. Its greatly appreciated if any one can help on this.

Luis Dominguez February 23, 2023

How are you linking the dependent stories? Wouldn't that be confusing and is a lot of manual work. You have to link and create issues for the same request, correct? The Dev., QA, and BA would need to go back and reference all those link or how does your process work?

Habeebunnisa
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 24, 2024

is there any improvement or any updated version on this issue by atlassian or its the same that we cant take reports for subtasks ?

Suggest an answer