How to include epics which contain labeled issues in a filter?

Debra Lenik July 17, 2017

I'm trying to create a filter for a kanban board that would show all issues with the label x that were created in 2017. I want the swimlanes to be organized by epic. The filter I've created for the board, however, (labels = x AND createdDate >= 2017-01-01) won't allow the swimlanes to be divided by epic because some of the epics are older than this year.

Is there any way to edit the board filter JQL such that it also includes any epics that have issues with the label x? The epics themselves do not have the label x. I have poked around in the documentation for awhile and don't see any obvious solutions.

Sorry this is confusing and clunky; I'm new to JIRA.

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 20, 2017

Since you want to arrange the swimlane by epic, your JQL filter will need to find a way to include those epic issues themselves in the JQL results.   I think one way to do this would be to adjust your JQL query to look like this:

(labels = x AND createdDate >= 2017-01-01) OR issuetype=Epic

Doing this should then allow you to sort the swimlanes by epics and still show all those epics.

Suggest an answer