How to include Status in the External System Import for Issues?

Matthew Gore February 10, 2020

Status does not show up in the fields to bring in via the External System Import for issues.  I can't map the status option that is in my import csv file to any option, because it isn't available.  How do you bring in status?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Pete Singleton
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 10, 2020

You should be able to set Status on import.  Do you definitely have permissions to Transition issues (i.e. change workflow status) on the project you are importing to?

Yes, I have permissions to transition issues.  I have the Status column in my file, but can't map it to anything (see screenshot):Mapping Field Option.PNG

Pete Singleton
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 10, 2020

What happens if you type the word "Status" into that search box?

It says 'No Matches'

Pete Singleton
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 10, 2020

Are you importing via External System Import?  There's two ways to import from CSV:

• The "Import issues from CSV" option under "Issues" in the top-menu.
  • Administration > System > External System Import

The second option is only available to Admins, but is the only way really to correctly import.

Like Joseph Brand likes this

That was it... i was using the first option, which takes me to the page that says External System Import, but it is slightly different.  When I went to the External System Import via the Administration > System path, it comes up with the right version and now I see Status as an option.

Thanks for your assistance!

Pete Singleton
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 10, 2020

Great, the second option is the ONLY one to use. No idea why the insist on keeping the other, that doesn't fully work.

Can you mark the answer as accepted if your problem is solved? Thanks!

0 votes
Joseph Brand May 8, 2020

These options need to be better highlighted on the user guide for importing issues.

• The "Import issues from CSV" option under "Issues" in the top-menu.
  • Administration > System > External System Import

The first option is more in line with adding new issues to an existing project, but provides very little flexibility in what to add - which is what this article should highlight.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/create-issues-using-the-csv-importer/

And this page doesn't even mention the menu links for Admin > System > External import...

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/migrating-from-other-issue-trackers-884344525.html

Suggest an answer