How to import from Excel (example spreadsheet layout)?

Johnathan Garrett-Sinclair January 23, 2020

Hi, I am struggling to follow the guide for preparing the spreadsheet before importing it. Every time i try to import I get a error message - could someone please provide an example of how to set up the spreadsheet so it works? 

1 answer

1 vote
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 23, 2020

Hi @Johnathan Garrett-Sinclair

Unless you have custom mandatory fields or a workflow condition for a field to be populated at creation, the only field you must have in an upload file is "Summary" - this is the title of the issue you're creating. 

Each column of the excel spreadsheet represents a field - so, for example:

• Cell A1: Summary
  • Cell B1: Issue Type
  • Cell C1: Epic Link

Below each of these column headers you want to place the data you wish to map to. So the Summary would be the title, Issue Type a Story and Epic Link an existing Jira issue.

You can add more fields by adding more column headers. Each field is an individual column and I would suggest if you're adding more than one value to a field (eg. labels or components), add a column per value and give the columns unique names (eg. Components 1, Components 2, etc).

Upload File Example.png

Once you've created this file, save it as a CSV - the file type the uploader accepts.

During the upload you can:

• Select which project to upload to during the import or if you're using the Site Admin importer, add Project Name and Project Key as column headers and populate accordingly.
  • Map the column headers to actual fields in Jira
  • Map the field content to actual options in Jira - for example, ensure the component you write into a cell in excel maps to the equivalent component already in Jira.

Note: The Site Admin importer accessed via Admin Settings and the user importer accessed via the issue search page do differ. The main difference is the user importer can only create new issues - so you cannot set fields such as status through it.

Let us know if this resolves the issue - or provide us with the specific error you're seeing!

Ste

Johnathan Garrett-Sinclair January 24, 2020

Thanks for this - I have made progress but it still brings up an error message 

"Issue can't be created due to the error/s [ You must specify a summary of the issue. ]"

I have used the spreadsheet layout you suggested, tried both populated and non-populated Summary column but still get the above error.  

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 24, 2020

If one of the columns is for Summary (i.e the issue's title) in your CSV, check the step for field mapping during the upload.

Just to be clear each row (i.e issue) you are uploading must have a Summary entered into it to be valid. If you have the column but blank cells below it, you will still receive the error.

If you have all this, you will first:

1. Select your CSV file in the Setup step
  2. Choose which project to upload to in the Settings step

^ Once at Map Fields, you need to ensure you're mapping each column header to a field. The screen looks like this:

Map Fields - Uploads.png

^ You will see in my CSV that the field is called Summary - you need to enter Summary into the Jira field equivalent (in my case, where my cursor is). When you do so, the error with a purple icon will disappear.

Give these tips a go and let us know how it goes :)

Ste

Johnathan Garrett-Sinclair January 24, 2020

@Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ Thank you for your patience, hate to be a pain but this still isn't working for me. 

This is my CSV CSV Test.PNGAnd this is the Map Fields 

CSV Test 2.PNG

But I still get the error message "Issue can't be created due to the error/s [ You must specify a summary of the issue. ]"

Do you know what I am still doing wrong?

Thanks 

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 24, 2020

A few things you can check:

• Ensure the CSV is the correct saved file type and not any "other" type with CSV in the name.
  • Select every row below row 5 and delete them - just in case there is a space in another row (which would be treated as a character)
  • Unlikely, but check there isn't a second custom field called "Summary" in your instance which is required on creation

^ Let us know if any of these work :)

Ste

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 24, 2020

Suggest an answer