How to identify status changes triggered by the system?

Katrin February 3, 2020

Dear all,

we are implementing ServiceDesk and are wondering if it is possible to change the "author" of status changes: e.g. whenever I am answering to a customer, the status is automatically set to "waiting for customer" which is ok, but in the history, the status change is assigned to me as the admin while it is originally triggered by the system.

Is there a way to identify automatic status changes proceeded by the system so that they are not always assigned to the admin?

2 answers

0 votes
Adrian Stephen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 3, 2020

Hi @Katrin 

If you added more users to your Service Desk Team ( People -> Add people ), you will be able to add other users to the automation configuration. 

Adrian Stephen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 3, 2020

sds1.pngsds2.png

Adrian Stephen
Atlassian Team
February 3, 2020

It can be a bit tricky to select another user. Just click on your name and start typing. 

Clicking the dropdown will show "no option" - must be a bug. 

Katrin February 3, 2020

@Adrian Stephen OK, got it: Typing in allows for choosing other people within my project but there is still no way to choose e.g. something like "project default" or "system". I find it a little misleading that the history assigns workflow status changes to users in the system while the respective change was proceeded automatically...

I just came across another undesired side effect of this phenomenon: Whenever a SLA deadline is about to be missed, I have implemented a rule which should notify me. But since I am now the author of all these changes and in my personal settings notifications about my own changes are disabled, I do not get informed about the threshold violation :( I can now of course allow the notifications about my own changes but will then receive a lot of unnecessary emails. So: my initial issue is remaining: how can I configure a rule that clearly identifies system events as system events without assigning them to me or another member of my team?

0 votes
C_ Derek Fields
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 3, 2020

It depends on how you are making the automated change. If you are using Automation for Jira or ScriptRunner, you can run the automation as a specific user, which will associate the change with that user. Other plugins may not let you set the user running the transition.

Katrin February 3, 2020

Thank you Derek, I probably should have mentionned that I was referring to ServiceDesk and not to Jia, my fault...

C_ Derek Fields
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 3, 2020

If you are using the JSD Automation facility, then you can specify either that it  be run by the user who triggered the rule or by the project default. Those are you only two options. You might check out Automation Lite for Jira, which Atlassian just purchased and see if this will help you.

Katrin February 3, 2020

Thank you so much for your answer but somehow I am not able to change the default user from myself to the project default; I only can choose myself but do not get any other options :( Is there another setting where this can be changed?Automation.pngIs there another way to 

Suggest an answer