How to hide subtasks in a kanban board?

Christopher Deane August 16, 2017

In our kanban board for project "Manufacturing" I only want to see stories and tasks, not subtasks. 

4 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 16, 2017

Under Board > configure you can change the filter query that is being used for the board to exclude subtasks.

Christopher Deane August 16, 2017

Thank you.  I do not see Board > Configure, can you elaboarte please?

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 16, 2017

You need to either own the board or be one of the admins for the board. Whoever created the board for you should be able to either modify the filter or give you admin rights to it. Here is the link to the documentation on how to create a board, which also describe how to modify the filter used, https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwareserver074/creating-a-board-889531204.html

Like mariahkannenberg likes this
Christopher Deane August 17, 2017

Currently am an admin but no success on removing the subtasks from the Kanban.  Appreciate any futher ideas or instructions

thanks

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 17, 2017

Did you try changing the filter? This filter should do it for you:

project = X AND issuetype != Sub-task ORDER BY Rank ASC

This is what it would look like:Kanban.pngThe board on the left is showing all issues, including sub-tasks, and the one on the right is using the query above to exclude sub-tasks.

Like # people like this
Austin Wakat June 29, 2018

@Mikael Sandberg is there any way to filter out sub tasks from the board columns, but still make them visible in the detail view (right hand side) when you click a story? When I filter out sub tasks from the board, I get the following message in the detail view:

"3 sub-tasks are being filtered by the board's Saved Filter"

We are using subtasks as work items underneath the overarching user story, and would like to only see stories on the boards, but also be able to review work items (sub tasks) in the detail view as needed.

Like Francesca G. likes this
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 29, 2018

@Austin Wakat if you filter out the sub-tasks on the board, all you will see is the message "X sub-tasks are being filtered...". You can still click on the link and it will take you to the detailed view for the parent issue. So the answer to your question is no, you cannot see sub-tasks from the board detailed view if they are filtered out.

Austin Wakat June 29, 2018

@Mikael Sandberg thanks for the quick response! I was afraid that might be your answer. Have you seen better way to represent the relationship of 1 User Story to N Work items in JIRA in a Kanban context?

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 29, 2018

@Austin Wakat one option would be to use swimlanes and create one that only contains the sub-tasks. You can then minimize that swimlane and still see the sub-tasks when looking at the story in the detail view.

nylchr September 28, 2018

Another suggestion is to use a quick filter to hide the sub-tasks. That way they are visible when you want them to and hidden when you whant them to.

Like # people like this
Darja Odorovska September 11, 2019

It works - created Quick Filter with suggested JQL and set  Issue count to exclude sub-tasks. Thank You!

Lydia M September 24, 2019

Mike, changing the board filter worked like a charm! Thanks. :)

Julia Kvas January 18, 2020

Dear All, could you let me know which query you choose for the JQL Quick Filter to hide sub-tasks from the board? 

This one suggested does somehow not work. 

project = X AND issuetype != Sub-task ORDER BY Rank ASC

Thanks

Julia Kvas January 18, 2020

Sorry - UPDATE! WORKS :) Just saw the button on the top. Excellent!

Like Sarthak Sharma likes this
Jashyard Johnson February 8, 2021

Thank you very much!

fredrik_folkeryd June 15, 2021

Just wanted to add an alternative way, not using a quick filter.

If you're using a kanban board you can also use Board > Configure > General > Kanban board sub-filter and edit that to be e.g. "(fixVersion in unreleasedVersions() OR fixVersion is EMPTY) and type not in (Sub-task)". That sub-filter only takes effect in the board columns, not in details view.

Like # people like this
Matt Keller June 16, 2021

@fredrik_folkeryd This actually worked perfect for our team!  I appreciate the suggestion!

Like fredrik_folkeryd likes this
Mauricio Messias De Almeida Brandão November 25, 2021

Thanks @fredrik_folkeryd . Your suggestion worked perfectly.

Like Fredrik Folkeryd likes this
3 votes
Dave F September 6, 2021

Add this to your JQL query, either in the filter for the board or as a quick filter:

type not in (subTaskIssueTypes()) 

0 votes
milind.khanzode October 26, 2021

I tried to add AND issuetype != Sub-task ORDER BY Rank ASC to the filter but looks like issuetype is not a valid keyword anymore. Please see the screen and help solve this issueissuetype.png

Dave F October 26, 2021

That list is longer than ours, possibly because you have more issue link types.
What appears in the shortlist if you type in "issuet"?

Also, see my next response below for an alternative way to exclude sub-tasks

0 votes
Witold Klimas November 16, 2020

Hi @Mikael Sandberg it works great. Thank You.

Can You halp me also with Epics ? What should I add in the JQL command so that there are also no Epics in the view? 

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 16, 2020

@Witold Klimas if you want to filter out multiple values use the not in function, like this:

issuetype not in (sub-task, epic)

Like Dave F likes this
Witold Klimas February 9, 2021

Thank You :)

Dave F November 25, 2021

If you have created additional sub-task issuetypes then you'll need:

type not in (subTaskIssueTypes()) and issuetype != Epic

Suggest an answer