How to have sub-tasks inherit Fix Version field from their parent story.

Chris October 26, 2017

Is there a way (without an add-on) to have all sub-tasks created to automatically inherit the Fix Version field value of the parent User Story?  We are starting to use JIRA in the government and add-ons just aren't going to happen right now.

The reason why I want this is because I have quick-filters for my backlog for viewing all of the different Releases that are going on.  If I click on the ABC 1.0 Fix Version, then it doesn't show any of its sub-tasks because the sub-tasks don't automatically inherit the Fix Version field from the parent story.

5 answers

7 votes
Tayyab Bashir
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 26, 2017

Hi Chris, 

Are you using JIRA Cloud or JIRA Server? 
If you are using cloud then you can go to the workflow of the relevant project and add a Post Function on the Create Issue Transition. 
The post function you are looking to add is "Copy Value From Other Field". 
Configure the post-function to have Destination and Source field to pick Fix Version. 

And then choose to pick the version from Parent issue. 

If you are using Server, then there is no built-in feature like this. 
So you would have to either resort to add-ons or create an add-on for yourself. 

Chris October 30, 2017

I'm not sure whether this is Server or Cloud.  In the "Add Post Function To Transition" page, there is no "Copy Value From Other Field" option.  There is, however, "Update Issue Field", but that only allows me to select from a small selection of issues (Assignee, Description, Environment, Priority, Resolution, Summary, Original Estimate, Remaining Estimate, Time Spent)

Tayyab Bashir
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 30, 2017

Does the URL for your JIRA instance starts with something like hostname.atlassian.net or is it your own hosted JIRA with your company name?
The above functionality works for JIRA cloud.

You must be using JIRA server. 
For that you'd need a plugin like "JIRA suite utilities", and with that you can use the copy value from other field post-function as I described above.

JIRA Cloud already has JIRA suite utility plugin pre-installed, so that's why the above function is already available there.

Chris November 16, 2017

I don't think the program is going to spend $450 on this.  I simply want to have sub-tasks inherit the Fix Version field from the parent Story.  Is this little thing really going to cost money?

Like # people like this
Jacobus Steyn May 28, 2019

"Copy Value From Other Field" option worked a treat. Thanks

Like Jagriti likes this
Jagriti June 11, 2019

Hi Jacobus ,

Please could you explain the steps for "Copy Value From Other Field" option .

Thanks

Jacobus Steyn June 11, 2019

In the sub-task workflow create transition add a Post Function to the transition

Project Settings>Workflows

Click Pencil of the workflow to be changed.

Click Transition and select Post functions

Capture.JPG

Like Harikanth likes this
joshuakon September 17, 2020

I setup a post function on my workflow's create transition just as described and it does not seem to work. Any subtask I create in an issue does not inherit the fix version from the original issue. here is what the post function setup looks like:Screen Shot 2020-09-17 at 8.45.47 AM.pngand the transition itself:

Screen Shot 2020-09-17 at 8.47.01 AM.pngWhat am I missing?

2 votes
David Stallard February 22, 2019

The confusing thing about this solution is that it is post-function.  So you can enter a value into a field and click Create, and then whatever value you entered gets overwritten by the post function in order to do the inheritance.  It works, but it's not clear that it's going to inherit at the time you're initially creating the issue.

Zsombor Miszlai January 14, 2022

exactly my thought, when we create the tickets, we don't know yet what the version is going to be, as we are doing agile scrum. I want to have an option to create tickets, and once we know the release I put the story in the release, and the same release is also added to all the sub-tasks- this is logical. It is ridiculous that a management system that claims to simplify things and have a scrum project does not do this automatically, or offer an easy solution for it. 

Crystelle S
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 14, 2022

Are you moving the parent ticket in the workflow? I'm not sure how you would expect a ticket to copy a value based on a transition in a workflow when the parent ticket is not processing a transition in the workflow. Sounds like you want to listen to a field update and update the subtask based on a changed value - you want/need a scriptrunner function I would think.

Like Peter Kulbida likes this
2 votes
Mallary Silva-Grondin October 17, 2018

Any updated information on this? From a UX standpoint this isn't really a "nice to have" it really should be default functionality that is offered; no way most companies will pay for this.

1 vote
Chris October 30, 2017

I've tried a couple of plug-ins, but they don't work.  Open to any suggestions.

0 votes
Ali Türkkan August 18, 2021

Hi,

You asked how to do it without using a plugin, but I will suggest a plugin. I suggest you to try. With this plugin you can show any field in sub-Task in parent issue

You can Download it here: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1224310/field-teller?hosting=server&tab=overview

Suggest an answer