How to have My Defaults be the default for Columns in Issue Filters

pnelsonsr March 29, 2014

I have a important column that I added to one of my filters (under Issues -> under Filters). But everytime I go to it the Columns selection is set to 'Filter' so I have to change it to 'My Defaults'. How do I set this up so that 'My Default' is the default view for Columns?

6 answers

2 votes
Richard Weilacher September 25, 2019

Not sure if this solves your problem - but when you open the column chooser, and it's set to 'Filter' (not Default or System), you can select 'Restore Defaults'. which will set the columns for that filter to match your current Default set. 

Karen Fisher October 31, 2019

Thank you Richard. That fixed my problem! Good on you!

Like # people like this
Keith Lanier March 4, 2020

this caused me endless confusion until I read this and confirmed it works. So poorly documented by Atlassian :-(

Like Iman mohammadi likes this
2 votes
pnelsonsr March 30, 2014

It never does for me. It never ever does!

1 vote
rfcorcoran919 September 17, 2018

I was experiencing this today myself. Very annoying and confusing!

Solution:

* Copy the JQL of the filter to some text editor.

* Deleted the filter that's not working

* Add new filter, and re-use the JQL,

* Run query to test results and column display.
* Save

The new filter runs fine and the columns behave as normal default in the past.

Craig Wyndowe September 25, 2018

Okay thanks, i will try that. Kinda a pain to re-do, especially if these are embedded in others processes and Confluence pages. 

I have found that setting the fields in Confluence view is the easiest way to keep the filter view constant (though if you have the change the order of fields, gotta backspace delete and then re-add fields).  

chauchu February 11, 2020

it work fine, thanks

1 vote
pnelsonsr March 30, 2014

Well you are in the right area. I already have my column setup and under each of the tabs in columns (My Defaults, Filter, System) I have added my columns. When I enter Jira or go to these filters my column is not there. So I click on the Columns button then click on any of the three tabs and my column shows up. So I was asking how to make this happen without me having to click on the columns button and then one of the tabs.

0 votes
Jack Brickey February 3, 2015

I had the same issue. What "seems" to have fixed this for me was to select "restore defaults" in the Columns pop-up box.

Craig Wyndowe April 9, 2018

Didn't work for me. It is always going to a pre-determined set of columns that is meaningless for my filter (columns that don't exist in my project). I have 30+ projects that I have access to with different attributes/columns across the portfolio. It would be ideal to have each filter remember the default columns for  selection....is this not possible?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 29, 2014

I'm not sure I understand the question, but I think you're asking about retaining column settings.

For your own filters, you can take an unsaved filter and select columns -> add near the top right of the list view - this is your personal list of columns you can use to view any filter.

Secondly, a saved filter can have columns saved with it as well - that will be the default view when any user goes into the filter.

pnelsonsr March 30, 2014

Well you are in the right area. I already have my column setup and under each of the tabs in columns (My Defaults, Filter, System) I have added my columns. When I enter Jira or go to these filters my column is not there. So I click on the Columns button then click on any of the three tabs and my column shows up. So I was asking how to make this happen without me having to click on the columns button and then one of the tabs

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 30, 2014

You shouldn't have to - it should be saving the settings in there (it certainly does for me - once I choose the columns I want, it persists, even across reboots, let alone just wandering around the system)

pnelsonsr March 30, 2014

It never does for me. It never ever does!

Like # people like this
pnelsonsr March 31, 2014

Could you discribe how you do it? Maybe I'm just not doing it correct!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 31, 2014

While logged in as me, run a search. Go to "my defaults", change them. Log out, make tea, come back, log in, go to create a new search, and I've got the columns I set the last time I was there.

If they're not persisting, you might have a problem. Try checking the logs for errors. It might be worth looking in the database too, especially if you have saved filters, because their order can also be saved, so you can see them being stored in the database and check if they vanish.

pnelsonsr March 31, 2014

Yeah thats what I had done. Will look into the DB but I can not see a reason why it wouldn't work.

Suggest an answer