How to have JIRA send Email a Reminder for Idle Issues?

Derek Sheeman June 29, 2016

So, once upon a time there were jelly-scripts, those were lost in favor of the script-runner escalation service.  Script-runner went to paid (unsurprising but frustrating), and now has removed the send email functions from the escalation service, leaving us with ... nothing?

I have a business need to send email notices out to assignees based on a date field which occurrs in the past and on a combination of statuses.  I have JIRA Software and JIRA Service Desk and I now see no way to do this in the application.

Does anyone know a way to send out 'tickler' emails from JIRA now for idle issues based on a JQL?

Subscriptions to a filter are not a viable solution.

Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

12 answers

0 votes
Boris Berenberg - Atlas Authority
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 15, 2020

Hi Derek,

We support this in Notification Assistant for Jira. You would configure a notification to Assignee and set it to run based on date time fields.

Thanks,
Boris

Leo Riggi July 15, 2020

@Boris Berenberg - Atlas Authority 

Notification Assistant for Jira.  would do the trick if we were not using Jira cloud.  Hope they'll release a version for cloud soon.,

Thanks, Leo

Boris Berenberg - Atlas Authority
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 15, 2020

We're working on it! The first version should be out shortly but won't address this use case.

0 votes
Mohammed Jamaludeen September 12, 2016

in other words, how do I set subscription to a "group" instead of individual ?

0 votes
Mohammed Jamaludeen September 12, 2016

I have the "filter" set up but while subscribing how do I select a group?? I could only see "Subscribe" and no other options to select it for a group

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 1, 2016

It's just a suggestion. Filter Subscriptions are simple and reliable.

Since you can use "currentUser()" with any user-field, you can use this to send personal reports to each user, or you can just send a non-userspecific query to a group.

0 votes
Derek Sheeman July 1, 2016

Aha, I did not realize that a subscription could be set to a user group.

Last time I looked (long time) that was not an option.

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 1, 2016

Filter Subscriptions can be enforced like Andrea mentioned. 

0 votes

The JIRA Automation plugin had not occurred to me because it does not have a "send an email" option.

We are testing using it to add a comment and send a JIRA notification.

Still, this isn't as good as what the Escalation Service or Jelly could do with an email template.

Derek Sheeman July 5, 2016

subscriptions are also another possible option after reviewing their functionality.  Neither option can produce a customized email like was previously possible.

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 5, 2016

Do you still have Script Runner or are you looking for alternatives? 

Derek Sheeman July 5, 2016

@Steven Behnke I do still have Script Runner, it does quite a few critical things for us.  Automation + Subscriptions are a poor substitute IMHO, so yes, I am always looking for better alternatives.

0 votes

@Steven Behnke, Filter Subscriptions are voluntary and send out a regular report rather than being enforced by the system.

0 votes
Andrea Carl
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 30, 2016

Subscriptions are totally feasible.  The below jql sends emails to issues assigned to "me" that are not closed and due more than two weeks ago.  Users will only get issues that are assigned to them.

assignee = currentuser() and status !=closed and due <= 14d

Sonya Bright
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 23, 2019

Hey how did you change this line of code considering they don't let you look up by username anymore. was it just currentuserID() or something?

Leo Riggi July 13, 2020

@Andrea Hakim thanks for JQL filter it works for me. Please explain how I may use the JQL Filter to send automated email reminders to our Jira users. I prefer to send each user just their open issues which need attention.

Thanks, Leo

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 29, 2016

Just an FYI, the JIRA Automation Plugin does not come with JIRA and is explicitly unsupported, (though I do use it all the time). 

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.atlassian.plugin.automation.jira-automation-plugin/server/overview

0 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 29, 2016

I am using the Automation module (comes with JIRA) to do something similar. It uses a JQL query to notify users if an issue has not been updated in the past two weeks.

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 29, 2016

Why are Filter Subscriptions not viable?

Suggest an answer