How to have JIRA send Email a Reminder for Idle Issues?

So, once upon a time there were jelly-scripts, those were lost in favor of the script-runner escalation service.  Script-runner went to paid (unsurprising but frustrating), and now has removed the send email functions from the escalation service, leaving us with ... nothing?

I have a business need to send email notices out to assignees based on a date field which occurrs in the past and on a combination of statuses.  I have JIRA Software and JIRA Service Desk and I now see no way to do this in the application.

Does anyone know a way to send out 'tickler' emails from JIRA now for idle issues based on a JQL?

Subscriptions to a filter are not a viable solution.

Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

11 answers

0 votes
Steven Behnke Community Champion Jun 29, 2016

Why are Filter Subscriptions not viable?

0 votes
Mikael Sandberg Community Champion Jun 29, 2016

I am using the Automation module (comes with JIRA) to do something similar. It uses a JQL query to notify users if an issue has not been updated in the past two weeks.

0 votes
Steven Behnke Community Champion Jun 29, 2016

Just an FYI, the JIRA Automation Plugin does not come with JIRA and is explicitly unsupported, (though I do use it all the time). 

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.atlassian.plugin.automation.jira-automation-plugin/server/overview

Subscriptions are totally feasible.  The below jql sends emails to issues assigned to "me" that are not closed and due more than two weeks ago.  Users will only get issues that are assigned to them.

assignee = currentuser() and status !=closed and due <= 14d

@Steven Behnke, Filter Subscriptions are voluntary and send out a regular report rather than being enforced by the system.

The JIRA Automation plugin had not occurred to me because it does not have a "send an email" option.

We are testing using it to add a comment and send a JIRA notification.

Still, this isn't as good as what the Escalation Service or Jelly could do with an email template.

subscriptions are also another possible option after reviewing their functionality.  Neither option can produce a customized email like was previously possible.

Steven Behnke Community Champion Jul 05, 2016

Do you still have Script Runner or are you looking for alternatives? 

@Steven Behnke I do still have Script Runner, it does quite a few critical things for us.  Automation + Subscriptions are a poor substitute IMHO, so yes, I am always looking for better alternatives.

0 votes
Steven Behnke Community Champion Jul 01, 2016

Filter Subscriptions can be enforced like Andrea mentioned. 

Aha, I did not realize that a subscription could be set to a user group.

Last time I looked (long time) that was not an option.

0 votes
Steven Behnke Community Champion Jul 01, 2016

It's just a suggestion. Filter Subscriptions are simple and reliable.

Since you can use "currentUser()" with any user-field, you can use this to send personal reports to each user, or you can just send a non-userspecific query to a group.

I have the "filter" set up but while subscribing how do I select a group?? I could only see "Subscribe" and no other options to select it for a group

in other words, how do I set subscription to a "group" instead of individual ?

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Nov 27, 2018 in Portfolio for Jira

Introducing a new planning experience in Portfolio for Jira (Server/DC)

In the past, Portfolio for Jira required a high degree of detail–foresight that was unrealistic for many businesses to   have–in   order to produce a reliable long-term roadmap. We're tur...

2,680 views 18 21
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you