How to handle maintenance from old projects in Jira?

Niklas Jonsson October 23, 2013

Hi!

My company has just started using Jira for all new development. The approach we have choose to go for, and which I understand is a common approach, is to have one new Jira project per customer project. And we also have one internal project for our platform and one project to handle incoming support. We use jira agile for kanban and scrum boards and each team add the different projects they are working in to a team board.

Some of the support issues that comes in are bugs in old finished projects that doesn't exist in Jira. Is there any best practices on how to handle this?
(Since we will let customer access our support project we don't want to keep development task in that project)

• Create one new project for each old project just for maintenance?
  • Or have one general project for all issues like this and separate customer by components or some custom fields?
  • Or maybe som else smart solution?

It would be a big plus with an solution that makes is possible to see all issues, both new development and maintanance/support for a team, on one board.

Big thanks,

Niklas

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 23, 2013
  • Or have one general project for all issues like this and separate customer by components or some custom fields?

You might want to go with this. This will reduce the amount of projects created.

It would be a big plus with an solution that makes is possible to see all issues, both new development and maintanance/support for a team, on one board.

You should be able to do this by creating a specifc JQL query that includes all projects for your board. Though, I would highly recommend not to use one board for so many teams. Each team should have their own boards.

Niklas Jonsson October 24, 2013

Thanks for your input! I think I will go with one project for maintenance for old projects if no one thinks this is a bad idea.

I didn't mean one board for all team. I meant one board per team, including new projects plus maintenance tasks in old projects.

/Niklas

Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 24, 2013

I didn't mean one board for all team. I meant one board per team, including new projects plus maintenance tasks in old projects.

Then you'll just have to creatively modify the board's filter once you've created them.

Suggest an answer