How to group user stories from different EPICS for sprints?

Manoj Kumar Sundararajan September 18, 2019

Hi All,

I'm working on a web development project, it has multiple dimensions to it. Supplier API integrations, Payment Gateway integration, Code Change (Frond & backend) and Vendor Fulfilment API integration which are projects on its own.

Is it ok to show each projects as EPIC's under one main project to keep track of each individual items. 

If so, how i can group the user stories for each sprint?

Is it a good idea to group the user stories based on each webpages or features?

Or it is best to write EPIC based on each Webpage or WebPage features and write the respective user stories under them?

Is there any repository which i can refer to realtime project EPICs & User Stories?

Thanks you in advance

1 answer

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 19, 2019

Hello Manoj,

Thank you for reaching out.

I understand that you would like to group issues from different projects in a single board, differentiating them by the Epic you have added to them. Is it correct?

In fact, you can perform the steps below  to properly achieve your need:

1 - Click on search button > Advanced search for issues > Create a new filter, returning all the Stories you want to display on your board, from all projects

2 - Navigate to any board you have > Click in the board drop-down > + Create board

3 - In the client to create a new board, select the filter you created in step 1 and allocate it where you want

4 - Once all the Stories are added to your board, you can create a single Epic for each project you have and link their respective issues to it, 

5 - Add the Stories as you want to your board sprints and select the Epic swimlane to group them in the sprint view together with their Epics (Board settings > Swimlanes > Select Epics)

Doing the steps above, you will be able to manage all project stories from a single board, grouping them by their respective projects. 

About these questions:

Is it a good idea to group the user stories based on each webpages or features?

Or it is best to write EPIC based on each Webpage or WebPage features and write the respective user stories under them?

Since JIRA uses the hierarchy Epics > Stories > Sub-tasks, you will need to choose if you would like to use Epics as projects or as WebPages. Also, you could use labels to determine the project or webpages related to the issues.

About this question:

Is there any repository which i can refer to realtime project EPICs & User Stories?

You can take a look at the Bitbucket application provided by Atlassian, that offers you the option to handle your repositories together with your Jira Issues:

https://bitbucket.org/product

Let me know if this information helps.

Manoj Kumar Sundararajan September 19, 2019

Hi Petter,

Thank you for your insights, it gave me a clarity. In case of your point one

"Click on search button > Advanced search for issues > Create a new filter, returning all the Stories you want to display on your board, from all projects"

I'm on "Classic Projects" and not on "New Gen" as new gen dose not support sub tasks i believe (correct me if i'm wrong). Could you please help me how to create a new filter to include user stories from other projects in "Classic Project'. 

Screen shots will be also helpful. 

Thanking you in advance

Manoj

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 23, 2019

Hello Manoj,

Actually, sub-tasks are supported by next-gen, however, the steps I provided above can only be achieved in Classic projects because the filters of Next-gen boards are not customizable.

That being said, supposing you are using JIRA Cloud or a JIRA Server instance up to date, these are the steps to properly create a new filter:

1 Click on the search button (magnifying glass) at the left menu > Advanced search for issues

Screen Shot 2019-09-23 at 11.46.02.pngScreen Shot 2019-09-23 at 11.46.11.png

2 - Create a new query, using the parameter "project in" to specify all the projects you want to display on your board. Then, click on "search" and save it as a filter

Screen Shot 2019-09-23 at 11.49.05.png

3 - Then, you Navigate to any board you have > Click in the board drop-down > + Create board, to properly create a board based on the filter you created:

Screen Shot 2019-09-23 at 11.52.17.png

Let me know if the other steps provided in the answer before are clear for you, Manoj.

Suggest an answer