How to get rid of resolution? Impact?

JG Meillaud September 3, 2015

Hey,

Resolution is a rather annoying field. To my knowledge you cannot have different values on different projects and it's not very useful for us.

So I'm thinking about hiding it in all our field configurations.

I expect the "assigned to me" gadget as well as all the filters using resolution to not work anymore, but is that all?

Is there anyone who did something similar?

Thanks!

JG

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 3, 2015

A better approach is to set the resolution in the workflows silently, so the user never gets involved.  Then everything else will continue to work (and if you want to completely force it, you can remove all the resolutions you don't want to use at all)

However, there are options for limiting the list of resolutions too.  Not at a project level, but at workflow - see https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/workflow-properties-189949.html

Taha Khanzada
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 3, 2015

Agreed :)

1 vote
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 3, 2015

I agree with Nic and Taha. If you don't set it the assigned to me will show everything assigned to them, completed or not. Also, if you link issues or use sub-tasks they will never show as completed (crossed out) in the issue details

1 vote
Taha Khanzada
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 3, 2015

Hey,

Just suggestion if you don't care about resolution just add post-function on closed status to update resolution of the issue automatically. So that users that have to bother about resolution and it will not break any functionality.

Taha

0 votes

Thank you @Nic Brough [Adaptavist], @Taha and Joe Pitt.

We already set resolution with post-functions most of the time, but we haven't got a clear policy on that yet, and we have some old projects without this. We are definitely working on this.

However, resolution still shows up on the issue screen and when you export it.

At that point I would still rather give up on the green tick mark on subtasks to not see resolution on screen.

Will I regret it? Is it easier to keep telling people "Don't look at this."

Cheers,
JG 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 3, 2015

You're giving up a lot of functionality if you don't use resolution. Everything in JIRA looks at it to see "is this done with". Built in project summaries and reports, gadgets with "exclude resolved issues", the strikeout function, marking subtasks complete, and there's a LOT of addons (including Agile and Service Desk) that absolutely rely on it.

Thanks Nic, Well it seems much wiser to keep it then. Although this really doesn't help with a UI that's already not the best :( Cheers, JG

Suggest an answer