How to get rid of duplicate issues in Jira structure.

Hila Matsa July 12, 2022

I have created the flowing hierarchy structure:  initiative --> HL Epic --> Epic --> Story using the following generators: INSERT for the initiative level and than EXTEND linked items for the levels below. that works great for the hierarchy items. 

I'm trying to reflect all other existing non linked issues in the structure, so it can be fixed and linked properly, using INSERT JQL, however, this created lots of duplications...

"Remove Inserter/Extender duplicates" is not available on cloud version, how can I solve the problem and still answer the need?

Thx,

Hila

1 answer

1 vote
David Niro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 12, 2022

Hello @Hila Matsa ,

David from ALM Works here.  Welcome to the Community!

If I understand correctly, you want to insert your Initiatives and then extend to your HL Epic > Epic > Story levels.

If I understand this correctly, could you please identify with what issue link you are connecting your Initiatives to your HL Epic?

We should be able to create a JQL query that will Insert your Initiatives OR any HL Epics that do not have an issue link to an Initiative.

I look forward to your feedback.

Best Regards,
David

Hila Matsa July 12, 2022

Hi David,

I have created Initiative/HL Epic new issue types and linked them using new issue link named initiative in/initiative of and HL Epic in/HL Epic of

As for the duplications, i am trying to addi ssues  typed Epics/Stories that are not linked to an upper level, i have tried using "linkedissue is EMPTY" but that does not exists, nither the option to extend without duplications...so my current JQL brings all existing Epic/Story issues and all the onse that are linked are duplicated...

As a temporary solution i have created Folder into i insert all stories with EMPTY Epiclink...but i rather have this as one structure without folders...

Thx

Hila

David Niro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 13, 2022

Hello @Hila Matsa ,

Thank you for the additional information!  

There is currently a limitation related to "issuelinkType is EMPTY", as described here; JRACLOUD-72795 .  The good news is that there is a workaround.

What you will want to do is create a Saved Filter by using Jira's Advanced Searched and then selecting "Save As" when done.  You can then reference this saved filter in your Structure Insert Generator.

The Saved Filter should be something like :

issuetype = "Epic" and issuelinktype in ("HL EPIC in", "HL Epic of") OR issuetype = "HL Epic" and issuelinktype in ("initiative in","initiative of")

You may need to modify the issue link types listed to avoid excluding issues you want to keep.  This filter should include all of the issues that have a link to your HL Epic and Initiative.

Then, in your structure's insert JQL, you will want to add in your Initiatives like normal and then add "OR issuetype != "Initiative" AND filter != (the filter id)".  This basically says if the issue is not an Initiative and it does not match the "has a link" filter, it will be added to the structure.

Please let me know if this helps, or if I can clarify anything here!  

Best,
David

Hila Matsa July 21, 2022

thank you!

I used this and it really helps! disadvantage was that following your suggestion provided a non hierarchy structure, so I have implemented something similar using additional folder for everything which is excluded from the filter I have created :-)

Like Dave Rosenlund likes this
David Niro
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 21, 2022

Hi @Hila Matsa ,

You are very welcome! 

What do you mean by "non-hierarchy" structure?  You should still have the extend generators in addition to the new insert generator.

The extend generators would create the hierarchy  of Initiative > HL Epic > Epic > Story the difference would be that now any HL Epics and Epics that are not linked will show up on the same level as the Initiatives, until they are linked, while avoiding duplication of the issues.

Please let me know if this helps clarify.  I look forward to your feedback.

Best,
David

Like Dave Rosenlund likes this
Hila Matsa July 21, 2022

sadly, once keeping the extend generators, with the suggested new insert jql:

(project = RND AND "Scrum Team" = Ordering AND ((issuetype = Initiative)
or (issuetype !=initiative AND filter != "10959"))  

i'm getting tons of duplications - all are stories/tasks, appear once as stand alone items and second time below their epics (due to the extend generator of "issues belong to epics")

i'm lost here, can't make it work

David Niro
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 21, 2022

Hi @Hila Matsa ,

I see!  This is my fault for skipping a step.  We need to add another piece to your saved filter (10959);

OR issuetype not in (Epic,Initiative,HLEpic,Subtaskissuetypes()) AND "Epic Link" is not EMPTY

This will get rid of the stories and tasks linked to your Epics.

Please let me know if this fixes the issue.  Looking forward to the feedback!!!

Best,
David

Hila Matsa July 21, 2022

i solved it differently  -

the insert generators looks like that:
project = RND AND "Scrum Team" = Ordering AND ((issuetype = Initiative)
or (issuetype in (epic, bug, story, Task) AND filter != "10959" and "Epic Link" is EMPTY))

and the filter looks like that:
project = RND and "Scrum Team" = "Ordering" and (issuetype in (Epic, story, bug, task) and issuelinktype in ("HL EPIC in") OR issuetype = "HL Epic" and issuelinktype in ("in initiative"))
order by created DESC

i assume that is getting the same results...i'm afraid to try...ha ha ha

Like David Niro likes this
David Niro
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 21, 2022

Nicely Done! 

I believe that will get you the same results, and since it's not broken... ;)

Glad we were able to find the solution together!

Best,
David

Hila Matsa July 21, 2022

Lots of thanks for the creative work around :-)

Hila Matsa September 5, 2022

Hello again,

What if i now need to add to the structure with some additional initiatives? BUT for those initiatives, "Scrum Team" =! Ordering (since it's another team initiative) but there's work Ordering team needs to do for it, and i would like it to be reflected in Ordering structure ...

Usually this would be an epic for scrum team = Ordering, that is connected to HL Epic of another team, hierarchy connected to an initiative of another team, since initiatives could be developed by several teams as contributors...

How can i add such initiatives to the structure? i thought about trying to look for initiatives that has "HL Epics" that has Epics with "scrum team = Ordering" using a predefined filter, however i didn't manage to use "issueInitiativeOf" suggested by Jira or any other way for such a query, can you assist in any way ?

Thx!

Hila

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events