How to get confirmation email once a jira issue has been created by Jira Mail Handler?

Sanaz Afshar October 7, 2019

Hi There,

I have set a new JIRA mail handler and deligated to a particular project in Jira which if a user sends an email to X@compay.com it will create a new issue under the respective JIRA project.

But I want also after the issue has been created in JIRA project, Jira sends a confirmation email to the sender that the issue has been created and here is the issue ID.

Like a confirmation email that on the subject line shows the Jira Issue ID.

Could you please advise how can I configure this functionality?

Best,
Sanaz

1 answer

0 votes
Gikku
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 7, 2019

Hi @Sanaz Afshar 

By default, the sender of the email will be marked as the Reporter for the issue. So you can configure the notification scheme of the project to send mail to Reporter for the Issue Created event (will be there by default).

You can also assign a user to whom the email can be forwarded in case the mail is not processed by Jira for any reason. Check the 'Forward email' section here 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 7, 2019

One caveat- the sender of email must be a Jira user. Otherwise the default creat user in the email handler  will be reporter and be notified. 

Like Gikku likes this
Sanaz Afshar October 7, 2019

I tried to add a post function "Email This Issue" after creating a ticket.

but it does not seem to work!

And also complaining to:

"Move function down right before or after firing the event"

which I tried and moved it right at the create issueScreen Shot 2019-10-07 at 3.11.42 PM.png but no luck!

Gikku
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 7, 2019

Hi @Sanaz Afshar 

The 4th step listed in the post function already triggers the Issue created event (id =1) so you don't have to add it again. You need to verify the notification scheme of the project whether the 'Reporter' is added there to the event.

And last check the permission of the user trying to send the mail, whether he has both Create Issue and Browse project permission in the project permission scheme.

Sanaz Afshar October 8, 2019

Hi Gikku,

I have removed the post function which I added yesterday, and instead checked the notification, there is a notification to notify the reporter if the issue has been created.

I have tested up again, and I don't receive any email.

I also opened up a ticket with JIRA support, unfortunately, they are pretty slow in responding!

every 24 hours one respond you can see from their end!

Still waiting on their response.

I will post here once I figure what I am missing on the configuration.

-S

Sanaz Afshar October 10, 2019

Hi all,

In case if you happen to face the same issue as mine, here is the resolution:

First, make sure you have the "Notification Scheme" configured with the respective JIRA project.

Then:

• Choose Cog Icon > Jira settings > System.
  • Under User Interface, select Default user preferences.
  • Select Edit default values
  • enable "Notify users of their own changes"
  • This will resolve the issue!

Thanks a lot for all your help and responses.

Best,

Sanaz

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer