How to get all Issues in a Project based on a single issue (without knowing the Project key/name)?

jbeg January 13, 2020

I am trying to create a JQL search which gives me all issues of a Project which name nor key I know based on a single issue in the Project.

Example search: List ALL issues of the projects which contain at least a single issue which matches label XYZ.

Is this even possible?

1 answer

0 votes
Cristian Ionescu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 13, 2020

Ex:  issue JHP-19 and label is "XYZ".  JHP is the project key.

JQL: project = JHP and label = XYZ

jbeg January 13, 2020

that limits the result to project JHP and I would have to know the key of the project which i dont.

Maybe my question was not clear, I will try to rephrase it:

- I have multiple issues across several projects A, B and C

- the projects A, B have at least one issue with label XYZ

- I want to find ALL issues from A and B (because A and B have at least one issue with label XYZ).

Cristian Ionescu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 13, 2020

JQL: project in ("A", "B")   -this is for all issue in project A and B

I don't cleary understand the phrase:

List ALL issues of the projects which contain at least a single issue which matches label XYZ.

Could you please explain me? The issues contain issue? Re some issues Task and some of them Sub-Task?

jbeg January 13, 2020

Your solution limits the search to Project A and B. But i dont know if A, B or C have one or more issues with the specific label.

The result list should contain all issues (no matter if they have the label or not) from the projects in which at least one issue with the given labels is present.

pseudo code to make it even more comprehensive:

1. issue_list = get all issues with label XYZ (JQL: label = XYZ)

2. project_list = get all projectkeys from issue_list (JQL: ????)

3. result = get all issues from projects in project_list (JQL: project = A OR project = B OR ...)

result contains all issues with and without the label

if that is not understandable I dont know any further....

Cristian Ionescu
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 13, 2020

1. issue_list = get all issues with label XYZ (JQL: label = XYZ) Ok with this

2. project_list = get all projectkeys from issue_list (JQL: ????)

Export CSV the File from poin 1 JQL and save as XLS. Then you have to make some "fancy moves" in Excel as Split Key colum: JHP-19 in 2 separates columns(delimiter should be "-") JHP and 19. After this make a Remove Duplicates and you will Optain only the PRoject Keys( A,B,C,D..)

3. result = get all issues from projects in project_list (JQL: project = A OR project = B OR ...)

The make JQL with the result from point 2 

result contains all issues with and without the label

jbeg January 14, 2020

Thanks for this answer - yes, this should work. I was hoping there would be a solution to put this in a single JQL statement so that i can create a filter where users can subscribe to...

Are there any other ways to tag projects besides project categories? We want to group projects outside of their categories without tagging every single issue.

Suggest an answer