How to get a list of "issues in epic" in Jira

vaishali saraf August 21, 2016

We link issues to Epic in Jira.

2 ways to add a bug in epic

1) From a bug  – click 'More' => click link and select "Related to" and type in the epic number.

Now the issues will be related to the epic.

To get a list of linked issues

issue in linkedIssues("ABC-123") – works.

2)  From bug screen  click "Edit" and add epic link.

When we do that the bug is seen "issues in this epic" section.

How to get a list of the the "Issues in this epic" with their key and current status.?

thanks

8 answers

5 votes
Nikhil_Gupta September 3, 2019

Just Use the search keyword Epic Link and give the id of Epic, like this:

1. "Epic Link" = ABC-123 , or
  2. "Epic Link" in (ABC-123, PQR-456, JQL-946)

No need to add quotes ("") in the Epic ids.

Regards,

Humberto Nunez September 6, 2019

Thank you Nikhil.  Worked perfectly! :)

Like # people like this
Nikhil_Gupta January 21, 2020

@Mario Binder See if this solution helps

Mario Binder January 22, 2020

@Nikhil_Gupta Thanks. For my case works this:

issue = ITE-48 OR parentEpic = ITE-48 ORDER BY createdDate ASC
Like # people like this
Karthik Varma A August 10, 2020

@Nikhil_Gupta : This is Simple and Easy solution when i was actually trying to invent very complex query for it

4 votes
Michael Schlueter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 21, 2016

How about ("Epic Link" = ABC-123)? Should be as easy as that. Maybe I've got you wrong.

Deleted user August 22, 2016

And if you have multiples;

"Epic Link" in (ABC-123,EFG-123, ABC-456,etc...)

or

If you don't want to list all the EPICs then: "Epic Link" is not EMPTY

Then export the info to excel and rock-on!

Like # people like this
Matthew Gately January 2, 2018

You are absolutely right, however, I actually found benefit from the given answer using linkedIssuesOf(), because my list of Epics is itself derived using a filter, and so can't be hardcoded like is done here.

Like # people like this
Mel Dett August 2, 2018

I have a query to derive the Epics in which I want the linked issues.  Is there a way to list the linked issues within the query that derives my Epics?  I'd like to do this with just one query.  seems I should be able to.  I do not yet have script runner.  I tried linkedIssuesOf() but keep getting operator errors.  Like you the query derives the Epics.

Like # people like this
ahmed94 July 16, 2020

Hi I just tried with Epic Link and I get Le champ 'Epic Link' n'existe pas. 

Like Pierre Arbelet likes this
Jose Vicente Martinez September 16, 2020

I use this query

issuefunction in linkedIssuesOf("key = PROD-1816", "is Epic of")

Like # people like this
4 votes
RPandyaram
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 21, 2016

hi @vaishali saraf ,

Epic link is majorly used to link a story .

Query can be like this for a story:

issuefunction in linkedIssuesOf("project = ABC", "is Epic of")
Bugs can be linked to an epic with 'Relate' as well.

For 'Relate'  issue link , the outward and inward description is same 'Relates to' by default.

If you want them to be separately defined , edit the description under issues tab with admin rights.

Once you have new links towards the epics from bug, use the same query 'issuelinks'.

Hope this helps.

vaishali saraf August 21, 2016

Thanks for your answer .

issuefunction in linkedIssuesOf("project =RDPROG" , "is Epic of")

When I tried above query... I got 

"Field 'issuefunction' does not exist or you do not have permission to view it."

Sorry... I am struggling here a bit.  

One this is not clear ...Where should I give the number of epic ( Issue key) whose issues I want to display.

Michael Schlueter
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 21, 2016

For the issuefunction you need the Script Runner Plugin.

Joel August 1, 2018

everytime i try to do anything advanced in JQL i come back to... "go get the script Runner Plugin". This is not cool.

Like # people like this
William Stephens October 26, 2018

Completely agree, this is extremely annoying

Like # people like this
Joel March 14, 2019

So its been a few months since my company broke down and bought script runner. I will say this. It's a fantastic plugin and does a million and one things. The big stinky though is that we have to shell out a small fortune for this added functionality that really would be awesome if it was part and parcel to the Atlassian tool set.  After getting my head around groovy and the API it's fairly stunning as to what can be accomplished. If you haven't bought it and have a few plugin's on a list of items to buy but are confused as to which ones should be priority... Script Runner should be at the top of your list.

Like # people like this
Joel March 14, 2019

Also I'll add I don't work for script runner or am no way associated with that company.

jennifer June 28, 2019

I get that scriptrunner is great and all, but if Jira is supposed to be about supporting Agile processes (which are supposed to be focused on user needs), that functionality should be built in. It's a little ironic that users everywhere on these forums ask for the capability to query hierarchies of issues from epics through stories and tasks, and the answer for years continues to be 'go buy a separate plugin'.

I've only been using Jira for 3 months, and I have already identified 6 key features of project tracking, this one included, that I don't have access to without a paid plugin (if it's available at all). I don't have the luxury of funding all those plugins, let alone waiting for the internal review and approval processes to go through for each one so that I can start tracking my work. A true user-centered product design would incorporate that kind of constraint into the product structuring and pricing so that customers aren't left high and dry without important capabilities during implementation. 

Seriously - this violates everything that Jira is supposed to be about supporting. 

Like # people like this
1 vote
Nancy Stronczek May 7, 2020

We don't have Scriptrunner or any other add-in to help with JQL.  I'm using Jira Cloud (no version # specified in the About dialog), and this is what worked for me today in the Advanced Search JQL builder bar:

project = XYZ AND issue in linkedIssues("XZY-123") ORDER BY priority DESC, updated DESC

1 vote
brbojorque
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 25, 2019
issuefunction in linkedIssuesOf("key = ABC-123", "is Epic of")

An alternative answer.

Priya Martin May 1, 2020

Is it possible to use a query in place of hardcoding a specific epic issue key?

Like lars.ove.claesson likes this
brbojorque
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 16, 2020

Yes, essentially the first parameter can be any JQL expression, however be careful of putting complex JQL because it may affect the performance.

It is worth noting that this is a ScriptRunner function.

https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/5.5.8/jira/jql-functions.html

Like Neeru Karwal likes this
Neeru Karwal December 4, 2020

Thank you @brbojorque 

0 votes

I am trying to create a query and doesn't work. This query is compose for 2 criteria, one criteria is in Epic and another criteria is in task. Is it possible ? When use only criteria (epic or task), it's OK, it works very well, but I combine both criteria doesn't work, why ? Is there any function or someone help me ? Thanks in advanced.

0 votes
Dave Hearne May 2, 2019
issue in childIssuesOf (epic key)

The above worked perfectly for me. Replace epic key with your own info. The name of the Epic will not work, even in quotes.

Brian Oconnell July 1, 2019

"Unable to find JQL function 'childIssuesOf(abc-123)'."

Like # people like this
0 votes
Junio Fernandes August 23, 2018

This may help:

issue in issuesParents("project = ABC or project = ABD")

It lists all items related to each epic under the projects.

Mario Binder January 21, 2020

Unable to find JQL function issuesParents

Michael Schlueter
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 21, 2020

I think this JQL function is provided by the AM utils app available on the Jira marketplace.

Like graemerenfrew likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 8, 2023

It's not, it's a Scriptrunner function.

Suggest an answer