How to get a Closed On Date for Jira Advanced Search?

Eric Blair September 8, 2011

Trying to make a filter with ClosedDate, but Jira doesn't have this like it does "created." Other than creating custom field to manually enter a close date, is there a way to search isses that were closed on a certain date?

11 answers

17 votes
Lev Kaufman April 29, 2015

This can be done by using status change search. For example:

... AND status = Closed AND status changed to Closed after startOfMonth() before endOfMonth() ...

Jacob Sorensen May 15, 2018

"status changed to" -> Thank you so much for this!

MICHAEL HONG January 15, 2019

Hi, thanks, do you know if this condition can be used with several attributes ?

status changed to (closed ou XXXXX) ?

Thanks

Like Rebecca Lüke likes this
Zach Powers June 25, 2019

Lev, this was so helpful for me. Thanks for posting it.

Like Gilmar Lira likes this
Philippa January 17, 2020

Solved my problem also, Thanks!

Nguyen Danh Ngoc March 21, 2020

I have a little bit edit for my need:

project = BA AND status = Closed AND status changed to closed after "2020/03/01" before "2020/03/15"

I just found that we can put directly date to AFTER and BEFORE syntax. That's the better choise for me :)

Like # people like this
4 votes
Sabrina May January 3, 2019

I'm shocked that a ticketing system is created and you can pull or filter on a specific Closed Date. Anyone measuring Expected and Actual or Lead time or Cycle time will need this date field. When will this be added??

Jacob Sorensen January 17, 2020

Most people I know actually use python or javascript to pull and maintain metrics.  In the REST API you have the full item history so you can see anything ever done to an issue and when it was done.  So you can see how often a story is re-estimated, how many times the description changes,  If an item is re-opened you can seperate both efforts turnaround times, etc.  You do have the ability to find through filtering when the status change by useing "status changed to <state> after <date>"  but if an issue changed to that status multiple times it will hit on the most recent time it went to that state only.

3 votes
RianA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 23, 2011

Hi Eric,

I think you can achieve this by installing this plugin called JIRA Enhancer plugin. It has the ability to enhance your search result, for closed date and reopened data.

Josua

1 vote
Robert Sumsion June 16, 2019

I have found this and works a treat. Add this to the filter to get all records Closed in last 3 months for example. This is great. You can change the "Closed" to any workflow status.

"AND status changed to Closed after startOfMonth(-3)"

I.e. status changed to WORKFLOWSTATUS 

Chris Lieb August 13, 2019

Fantastic, thank you! I didn't even know that status changed to parameter existed.

1 vote
vinod January 9, 2016

use other way,

project = project1 AND component = comp1  AND updatedDate >= "2015/12/24" AND status = Closed

Chris Lieb June 2, 2017

This doesn't really work, unless your project has locked down edits to Issues after the workflow has changed Issue status to Closed.

For instance if someone added a comment to the Issue after it was Closed it would still show up as modifying the updatedDate, even though it was already closed.  Rendering an inaccurate appearance of Issue closure datestamp.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Srikanth Ganipisetty June 9, 2021

We're using a filter with JQL query consisting status changes and updated date together. I see in the latest versions, ClosedDate field isn't provided. 

0 votes
Erki Parkja May 8, 2019

Tickets that have been closed or locked today (today is May 8th 2019):

updatedDate >= 2019-05-08 and status in (Closed, Locked)

It is important to use >= instead of = because = means that you're looking for issues that were locked/closed exactly at 00:00. 

Hope it helped!

Jacob Sorensen May 8, 2019

only works for people that do not update a closed issue ever.  We sometimes will make updates to a closed issue, for example linking it to a new related issue to provide context.

Like Oskar Austegard likes this
0 votes
Scott Beeson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 21, 2018

Seriously, how is THIS not a thing?

Sabrina May January 3, 2019

Right?

Like # people like this
Larry McCarthy November 23, 2020

I agree.  Closed Date was in the previous version

Like # people like this
0 votes
Karthik Bhat February 11, 2013

Is there an alternative way to filter issues based on closed date range? JIRA Enhancer plugin has a lot of use cases which are not required by me and it ain't free! Any inputs?

0 votes
Vishnukumar Vasudevan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 25, 2012

As Rian said, I also use this plugin, https://plugins.atlassian.com/plugin/details/5139.

It's quite useful.

0 votes
Royce Wong
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 25, 2012

Not an answer, same question but I am looking query\sql instead of filter.

Trying to find first time closed issues on a certain date.

Thanks.

Suggest an answer