How to get Throughputs from Kanban?

Lusine_Davtyan March 26, 2020

Hi all!

Could you please help me understand how to get throughputs for Kanban teams? Is there a step-by-step guide that I could use to get the numbers per week? I need a weekly report on the number of throughputs.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 27, 2020

Hello @Lusine_Davtyan

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Could you please provide us more details about the "throughput" you need? Are you trying to know the number of issues added and removed from your Board or would it be some different throughput?

Basically, all the data related to issues in Jira can be achieved using JQL queries. That being said, you can simply customize the JQL query of your board to properly return any data related to them. Let me give you a practical example:

Let's suppose you would like to have a list with all the issues on the board that was assigned to "User 1" during the current week. These would be the steps:

- Navigate to your board > ... > Board Settings > general > Edit filter query

- Copy the filter query of your board and add the following JQL query to it:

and assignee changed to "user 1" AFTER startOfWeek()

You can check in the documentation below more details about JQL queries and how you can use it to collect the data you want:

Use advanced search with Jira Query Language (JQL) 

Let us know if you have any questions.

Lusine_Davtyan March 27, 2020

Thanks, @Petter Gonçalves, for your detailed answer and the link. 

I need to know the specific number of Tickets/issues created (for a single team, not a project) during a specific period (a week, for example) and how many of those tickets got resolved during the same period.

For example, the team created 20 tickets in a week and closed 17 out of those 20. 

Will I be able to get that data using JQL for the current and previous weeks and months?

Thanks for your help.

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 1, 2020

Hello @Lusine_Davtyan

Thank you for your explanation.

To get the number of tickets created and completed in a specific time range, you can use the gadget Created vs Resolved Chart. These would be the steps:

• 1 - Create a JQL query to return the issues created in the time range you want and save it as a filter. To give you a practical example of query, let's suppose you want to return all the issues created in the last 30 days:
    created >= -30d
  • 2 - Navigate to your dashboard (type GG > search for system dashboard) > Add Gadgets > and add the Created vs Resolved Chart,  adding the filter you created in the gadget

Doing the steps above, the gadget will display all the issues created in the last 30 days and what issues were resolved from that same amount of issues.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Lusine_Davtyan April 3, 2020

Happy Friday @Petter Gonçalves

Thank you very much for your help. I'll try the gadget and will get back to the community if I have more questions. 

Best, 

Lusine

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
April 3, 2020

You are welcome, @Lusine_Davtyan

All right! We will be waiting for your feedback to know if our suggestion has properly worked for you. Have a nice weekend!

Toncheva_ Mirela _BG_ November 5, 2023

@Petter Gonçalves hi!

Do you know how I can get data for the following:
"show me the number of tickets that were in To Do status AND got resolved for the last 30 days"?

0 votes
Emre Toptancı _OBSS_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 17, 2020

Hello @Lusine_Davtyan ,

Time in Status app by OBSS can be utilized for this purpose (among other things).

We prepared a new use case document that explains how to calculate throughput using Time in Status by OBSS. You might also want to check it out:

https://dev.obss.com.tr/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=303795348

You can find the app here: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/1211756

EmreT

Suggest an answer