How to fix receiving duplicate tickets

Kat Kimmons November 11, 2019

Hello,

We recently started receiving duplicate tickets when our customers submit tickets via email to our helpdesk email. The tickets duplicate the subject however they have a different ticket # assigned to them. What can be causing this we need it fixed as soon as possible? Anyone know what the issue is?

Thanks 

4 answers

0 votes
Kat Kimmons November 15, 2019

I don't understand why this is happening here are the incoming email handler

email handlers.PNG

0 votes
Kat Kimmons November 15, 2019

Here is the logs

duplicate tickets being created.PNG

0 votes

on Jira it creates two keys IT-1427 an IT-1248

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 15, 2019

That makes no sense given the large separation between the numbers. Have you scrutinized these two issues closely? Is the create date and time the same? I am wondering if you have some email handler addon that is causing this. I would reach out to Atlassian support.

Kat Kimmons November 18, 2019

Hi,

The issues have different Key #s however the summary is the same which tells me it is duplicating the issue. I will try to reach out to support. They arent normally repsonse. Have you had good luck reaching out?

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 11, 2019

one often culprit is that the reporter Cc various people and when someone on the Cc list responds to the original email then it will indeed create a new ticket. Comments are not added to an existing ticket based upon the same subject in the email, rather commenting is done when the incoming email subject includes the issuekey number, e.g. ABC-123.

I have also seen where email addons (mis-configured?) can cause this.

Hi,

Thank you for your response :)

We are receiving duplicates on tickets that do not have anyone on cc. Ex: I go to my outlook email and I send a ticket to our helpdesk@xxx.org no one cc'ed and I jump over to Jira portal to check my IT project and see the unassigned ticket and there are two tickets with different numbers but the same subject(same ticket)

What do you mean by email addons?

Thank you

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 11, 2019

that is certainly interesting. Does this happen with every email sent to that address? Here are my thoughts....

• I'm suspicious that something outside of Jira is causing this, i.e. the email server is somehow issuing two emails. Do you have the login creds for that email? If so I would log in an watch to see if two emails are coming into the inbox.
  • check the email logs - Jira settings > products > email requests and scroll down to find your project and click the view log link
  • is it possible that you or someone has created a JSW email handler for the same email address? Jira settings > system > incoming email
Kat Kimmons November 13, 2019

OK thank you I will check the mailbox 

What do you mean a JSW email handler. I thihnk there is only one email handler.

I will check and provide the answers shortly.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 13, 2019

Regarding JSW email handler theory, I think it is unlikely but possible cause. Check for this as I outlined above. Look for an email handler associated with  your JSD project.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 15, 2019

Is the IT project Jira or Jira Service Desk? JSD email handler is found in project settings > email requests. 

Suggest an answer