How to fix PDF Preview?; I am sure it's Jira and not the browser.

Todd Palermo May 2, 2022

I see many posts about this problem, "Ouch! We can't load the image." I have not seen a solution and the work-arounds are frankly just ignoring the problem. We started having this problem April 4th. Good attachments on March 30th, bad attachments on April 4th. I will share what I know to be new information to a common problem seemingly without a solution.

Troubleshooting:

• Restarted Jira
  • Restarted PostgreSQL
  • Restarted the server
  • Tried Edge, Chrome, Incognito, and portable Opera
  • Disabled all plug-ins
  • Jira and PostgreSQL have not been updated this year 
  • Confirmed the link was in the server (I think). See below:

Example problem

example problem.png

example link.pngexample structure.png

So here is where this new information is that I haven't seen anyone talk about. Jira doesn't recognize the PDFs are PDFs. Jira thinks they are images. You can see it in the icon and in the browser inspection. Please see below for details.

01.png

02.png03.png04.png

Does anyone have any insight to this problem? Our servers are not connected to the internet to get updates. Our Production and Development servers both have this problem. Any help would be great! Thanks!

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Todd Palermo May 4, 2022

Solved: Not a Jira issue. After inspecting the network data on upload, I can see that I am sending the file with mimeType: image/pdf. Jira just accepts this mimeType and cannot display it. The root cause of this is in the registry of my computer. Acrobat Standard XI is calling for .pdf files to be image/pdf. Acrobat DC had fixed this with the correct mimeType of application/pdf. I have updated the registry and everything works as expected. I see a lot of people have this problem and I hope my solution can help others.solution.png

0 votes
Todd Palermo May 3, 2022

Update: I am seeing a trend where people that create PDFs with the Office "Save As" PDF don't have a problem. Only users that have Adobe Standard XI and Adobe Reader DC installed have this problem. Still looking for a solution.

Todd Palermo May 3, 2022

Update2: The problem is on my profile in Windows. Another person logged into my PC is able to upload correctly. I have reset all my Windows apps to default and still the problem continues.

Suggest an answer