How to find open issues in closed epics

glen_stark July 2, 2020

I want to obtain a list of issues which are in the state "todo", but are in epics which have been closed as "done"

3 answers

1 vote
Jack Nolddor _Sweet Bananas_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 2, 2020

Hi,

Sadly you cannot achieve the desired search using standard features on Jira, you must go for a third-party app instead. Using i.e. JQL Booster Pack if you are on Server / DataCenter, you can type the following:

1) Search for Open issues in closed epics

status = Open AND issue IN issuesInEpics('  status = Closed ')

Alternatively, using resolution field....

resolution = Unresolved AND issue IN issuesInEpics(' resolution IS NOT EMPTY ')

(*) Note that this is just an example, you must tune above query to fit your needs.

Using this app you can also query other issues relations, check:

References:

0 votes
gitberg January 12, 2023

Out-of-the-box JIRA does currently not support this.
You need one of several possible extensions.

We are using Scriptrunner. Which I believe solves this elegantly with its extended JQL functions. To solve the example above, I would write:

issueFunction in issuesInEpics("status = done") and status = todo

That should do it.

Breaking it down:
To get access to any Scriptrunner function you start by writing. Syntax suggestions will appear after that

issueFunction in

In this case, use a specific Scriptrunner function "issuesInEpic" to return all issues under Epics matching the parameter in the function. The parameter can be any complexity of JQL.

issuesInEpics("status = done")

This result combined with normal JQL filtering to find only the ones in state "todo".

and status = Todo

0 votes
C_ Derek Fields
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 2, 2020

You need an app like Scriptrunner that adds a JQL function that allows you to use a sub-query in your JQL. Scriptrunner provides a function called "issuesInEpics" that does what you want.

Richard Cross August 1, 2022

Nowhere near enough information in this answer, such as an example JQL that would illustrate how this function would be used to meet the OP.

gitberg January 12, 2023

I have written a full answer to this using Scriptrunner

Suggest an answer