Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sign up Log in

Next challenges

Recent achievements

  • Global
  • Personal

Recognition

  • Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

  • Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to find issues in backlog using JQL with JIRA Agile?

I just upgraded from Greenhopper to JIRA Agile.

How does one search for issues in the backlog?

9 answers

1 accepted

15 votes
Answer accepted

It looks like this is how you would do it (equivalent to backlog view in planning board):

project = *project_name* AND issuetype in (Task, Bug, Improvement, "New Feature", Enhancement) AND sprint is EMPTY AND resolution = Unresolved and status != Closed

I discovered that Sprint = Empty is not enough if you have open issues that were once part of a previous sprint. Instead I ended up using the suggestion from this thread https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/142125

issuetype != Epic AND resolution = Unresolved AND  (Sprint = EMPTY OR Sprint not in (openSprints(), futureSprints()))

thanks a ton it resolved my query too!

Very well observed

Any Idea on how to do this with for projects without sprints?

i need this too

Like raschidjfr likes this

Don't know why Atlassian let us struggle with such a thing. This should be a default filter.

After many trials, I got this that finally returned the same amount of backlog items:

project = <Project name> AND issuetype not in subtaskIssueTypes() AND issuetype != Epic AND resolution = Unresolved AND (Sprint = EMPTY OR Sprint not in (openSprints(), futureSprints()))

Seems as if all of the suggestions are missing the "status != Resolved". So it basically should look like this:

project = <Project name> AND issuetype not in subtaskIssueTypes() AND issuetype != Epic AND resolution = Unresolved AND (Sprint = EMPTY OR Sprint not in (openSprints(), futureSprints())) AND status != Resolved

This worked for me. Thanks, everyone. 

Brilliant! Worked for me too.  Wish I hadn't spent a morning on it before Googling it though....  

Worked like a charm, Thanks!

Had this annoying thing that when retrieving all issues from a sprint the amount was hardly ever equal to the amount shown in the backlog right to the sprint title.
Found often that issues where missing despite the fact that the retrieved number was in most cases higher.
However with this query it matches always the amount and same issues shown in the backlog sprints.

sprint=<sprint number> and issuetype not in subtaskIssueTypes() AND type != Epic  

 

Suggest an answer

Log in or Sign up to answer
TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you