How to find inactive users

Hilary Boyce
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 11, 2013

As our user base grows I want to be able to find those users who haven't logged in for n months, so our numbers don't spiral out of control.

There doesn't seem to be any way to do this through the admin interface, eg. I can't sort the user list by when they last logged in or filter for it. Have I missed something and/or is it possible to find this information through API methods - again I haven't spotted a way but I'm not very familiar with the API.

7 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Hilary Boyce
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 24, 2013

It seems what I want to do cannot be done currently with OnDemand.

4 votes
Mark Symons
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 24, 2013

As chance would have it, I provided this use case ("able to find those users who haven't logged in for n months") as a comment on this issue just a couple of days ago. The issue is requesting that the user list in the JIRA Admin UI be sortable. It had been closed as "won't fix". Now it has been re-opened. But you still might like to vote on it.

Hilary Boyce
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 24, 2013

Thank you Mark, I have voted for the issue as I quite agree with you. The user interface is not up to the standard of the rest of the Admin, particularly not for Enterprise level installations.

Mark Symons
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 27, 2013

If my answer helped then remember to accept it/vote it up =)

1 vote
David Maye
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 18, 2013

The API can poll user information, however the last login info isn't available from the API directly. Technically, at this point you have two options:

1.) You can go through the USER MANAGEMENT page and manually check when the last time someone was logged in.

2.) Or you can wait until this feature request is implemented: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/AOD-6779

1 vote
Hilary Boyce
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 11, 2013

We do have OnDemand so sadly instructions to look in the database aren't very helpful.

Other things that would be helpful are being able to sort the users list by the column headings or find users who aren't in any group. both not possible currently. The addition of a JQL filter like we have for issues could be handy.

It seems the area of user management hasn't had any attention for a long time and the functionality is pretty limited for an Administrator trying to manage several hundred users.

0 votes
Tom Keidar February 10, 2020

Here is a Jira cloud addon developed by my company that allows you to search, filter and bulk delete users:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1221764/user-management-by-toros

In addition, it allows you to search for inactive users (users who haven't login in a while) and perform some bulk operation.

0 votes
Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 11, 2013
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 11, 2013

I doubt you can do this in JIRA OnDemand, since you have no access to the database.

Suggest an answer