How to find Epics in open sprints

Since an Epic by design is not associated with a Sprint, it can not be included in a JQL query with a function like this. The goal is to create a filter that could be fed to a dashboard that includes only Epics that have linked issues (other parents) in open sprints...and be able to include them with the linked issues...better yet, extract just the Epics. Is there a solution for a Cloud user?

sprint in openSprints()

2 answers

Hi Paul,

It should be possible to track it using only JQL if you are using the default settings of JIRA Agile.

As JIRA Agile tracks the Epic issue using a specific issue type, the Epic issue type:

sprint in openSprints() and issuetype = Epic

Not sure, but I think it works in the intended way.

I hope it helps!

Cheers!

Andre

I do have a highly customized environment, but my definition around the epic object is the default. Issuing your JQL query yields no results. You claim this works by design...is it possible I've done something to abstract the default behavior?? As far as I have ever been able to tell (going back two years), an Epic by design is not associated with a sprint since a sprint only seems to contain parent issues (excluding the Epic). Love some help on this, Andre.

In fact, have a look at my more recent inquiry...here --> https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/13420008

As Epics are not associated to a Sprint, It's not straightforward to create a filter referencing Sprint number. The below JQL helps to get the list of epics in a

Active Sprint.

project = "XY" AND issueFunction in linkedIssuesOf("sprint in openSprints()", "has epic") ORDER BY cf[10007] ASC, summary ASC

Closed Sprint

project = "XY" AND issueFunction in linkedIssuesOf("sprint in openSprints()", "has epic") ORDER BY cf[10007] ASC, summary ASC

Previous Sprint

project = "XY" AND issueFunction in linkedIssuesOf("sprint in prevSprints()", "has epic") ORDER BY cf[10007] ASC, summary ASC

Shamee, perhaps these functions are available in the Server/Data Center platforms, but they're not available in the Cloud platform. That would be awesome to have though!

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,342 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot