How to filter the DONE tasks and not carry over to next sprint even though the user story is INPROG?

Suganya May 3, 2023

I have a user story which is "In Progress" at the end of the sprint. Let's say I have created 50 Tasks/Subtasks in that user story & I completed 40 Tasks/Sub Tasks. 

When I go to the next sprint, I see all these 40 also carried forward along with the user story. How can I stop this & take only those 10 Tasks/Sub Tasks which are not done to next sprint. 

I should not be seeing all these 40 tasks in DONE column at the start of the sprint itself.

How can I achieve this ?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 3, 2023

Hi @Suganya ,

unfortunately, the way Jira scrum boards work is it to assess at the story or task level not the subtask level. So, unless all subtasks within the story are complete then they will all be moved back to the next sprint or backlog. One way to better manage this is to break your stories into smaller bits of work with fewer sub-tasks.

Suganya May 3, 2023

I completely agree with you, but on some cases, when it overspills we face this issue. 

Do we have any configuration to show only the user story & not completed tasks in the board & hide the completed ones which are in DONE state ?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 3, 2023

You could creat a quick filter to hide completed subtasks, e.g. type = subtask and resolution is not empty. Of course this will hide newly completed subtasks in the current sprint. You could add a time component to help with that but it would need to change with each sprint.

Suganya May 3, 2023

sure, Thank you for the quick info. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 3, 2023

Another idea...

create an automation that triggers on a sprint completing. Add a label to any sub task that was completed. Then your quick filter could filter out anything with that label. 

Suganya May 3, 2023

That's great idea. I'll try this for such scenarios. Thank you so much. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 3, 2023

You are most welcome. If this does address your question, please consider accepting the answer.

Suganya May 3, 2023

Sure, Definitely. 

Suggest an answer