How to filter out some components showing in dashboards if multiple components describe each issue?

Tomas Cousillas Fernandez August 5, 2021

I am working on a project where each issue is listed with several components (e.g. Issue is related to the Core component, the Documentation component, and the Feature component). When I create a dashboard with a report like two dimensional filter statistics, I want the report to only show the total issues for 2 of the 3 components. However, I see no way to do this with a filter since when I use the "not in" syntax it eliminates every component that has the component I dont want to see even if it also has the components I want to see. How can I only show certain components in my reports despite components being multilisted by issue?

E.g.

Issue 1 - Components: Core

Issue 2 - Components: Core, Documentation

Issue 3 - Components: Documentation, Feature

Issue 4 - Components: Core, Feature

With this set, even if I want a report that only shows issues by Core and Documentation components, I keep seeing the Feature component in my reports. If I use the filter with the "not in" syntax, then issues 3 and 4 from the example are filtered out, even when they are still relevant for the Core and Documentation components.

1 answer

0 votes
Melo
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 5, 2021

Hey Tomas! Welcome to the community.

Have you tried to build your queries using the OR keyword? 

Here is some documentation that may help you: https://www.atlassian.com/blog/jira-software/jql-the-most-flexible-way-to-search-jira-14

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira064/advanced-searching-720416661.html

Cheers,

Melo

Melo
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 5, 2021

You could also use "IN" instead of "NOT IN" e.g 

Example 1

component = Core OR component = Documentation

Example 2

component in (Core, Documentation)

Ciprian September 5, 2022

I don't think a query is of any help with his case, since he has multiple Components for each ticket. That means the Dashboard will still show all the Components for the matching tickets, even the ones you don't need.

In this case lets say you have a ticket with 3 components: one, two, three. Even if you filter by component = one, in the Dashboard will still show 3 entries, because those components are all associated & valid for the matching ticket. 

What he needs is a way to only show the components he needs, but ignore all the others. Something like a smart gadget to filter by specific values. 

Does anyone know something like this exists?

Like Theresa Tanner likes this
Theresa Tanner September 23, 2022

@Ciprian Did you ever get a response to this? I am having the same issue and need to run a report with only one of the 7 components showing. Any help would be appreciated!

Ciprian September 24, 2022

Hi @Theresa Tanner yes I managed to find a solution using a really useful gadget, that let you play around with pretty much any field in any possible way. See my reply for Labels here, but works exactly the same for Components 

Like Theresa Tanner likes this
Theresa Tanner September 26, 2022

@Ciprian thank you for your help! I will check that out. 

Suggest an answer