How to filter notifications using JIRA Cloud Slack integration?

William DePhillips November 28, 2017

Update August 2018:

There is actually an official feature request ticket: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-16885 so instead of liking my question here, which probably doesn't really do anything, maybe vote on that ticket. Thanks!

The official Atlassian JIRA slack integration (jirabot / slackbot) is really useful and our team loves it. However, the configuration seems fairly limited so far. It only lets you choose a project and some other basic settings to choose if issue creation and updates posts a message to the channel. However, this quickly become noisy because you can't filter what you want the team to see. Mainly, we'd like to see items filtered by a certain team or only for certain state transitions.

Is it possible to do any advanced filtering by any arbitrary criteria using JQL?

Without this filtering, we usually leave the activity notification stream disabled in most channels, which is one of its best features. Is there any way to do this? Is this feature going to be added soon? I know Atlassian has their own competing team collaboration platform but they should still support all of their customers.

25 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Trevor Thompson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 27, 2019

This functionality has shipped! You can access it by typing `/jira manage` to edit your subscription and add JQL filtering.

11 votes
Angel Martín February 20, 2018

+1 this would be a huge improvement. Same thing to other features I hope are in the roadmap, e.g.: Providing the ability to create / transition issues.

7 votes
Jesper Vehn Munk March 14, 2018

Definitely +1 here too.
Currently Slackbot is posting for all issues moved to 'Review' column, but our developers are split in frontend and backend developers and corresponding Slack channels. 

A JQL filter to determine something like 'labels in (frontend)' go to Frontend Slack, and same same for backend.

4 votes
chrmoebius April 12, 2018

+1 I have two teams sharing a single Jira. but have their own channels in Slack. I'd like to have to chance to filter which messages from jirabot go to which channel based on JQL expressions.

I consider it a severe limitation that I can only define _one_ filter rule for one Jira project: For Bugs and Stories I'm only interested in Done-events, while for tasks I'm interested in all status updates. Would be great to be able to distinguish that. Without it the jirabot is less useful for me.

2 votes
Jerfeson Guerreiro January 31, 2020

+9999999999999999999

1 vote
Trevor Thompson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 1, 2019

Hi everyone!

We're looking for some help beta testing this feature. We'd love to include you all so we can hear your feedback and you can help us build an awesome experience!

If you fill out this form, I'll add you to the beta list and you'll hear from me soon :) 

https://forms.gle/7mfzSRpwbiVJRLVEA

Trevor Thompson

Product Manager, Product Integrations

alexis.panzer May 15, 2019

OMG Yes please

alexis.panzer June 26, 2019

@Trevor Thompson when will this feature be live? I have my fingers and toes crossed that it will be soon!

Trevor Thompson
Atlassian Team
June 27, 2019

Hey @alexis.panzer , this functionality has shipped ! You can see it by typing `/jira manage` and editing your subscription

Like Mouli likes this
1 vote
Anshuman Goyal April 5, 2019

+1000

1 vote
Kendrick Brown March 8, 2019

How about by issue? Looking to create a different Slack channel per issue within a project. 

Mouli October 8, 2019

Currently, there is a restriction on this. Only one slack channel per Jira Project. This needs an upgrade..

Like Amanda Robinson likes this
Trevor Thompson
Atlassian Team
October 8, 2019

@Mouli

You can create multiple connections per Jira project. Just type `/jira connect` in the channel and you'll be able to great a new subscription. 

@Kendrick Brown

You can use JQL to create a subscription for an individual ticket. Just use JQL along the lines of "issue key = KEY-1234" 

Len Quam May 13, 2020

You can create multiple connections per Jira project BUT they all use the same filter settings or JQL query. While in the UI you see each connection to a Slack channel and they all have an edit link, change any one of them and it changes the settings for all of them.

So, for example, you cannot send only bug issues to one channel and stories to another.

This makes the app fairly useless in my opinion. You can replace your personal notifications in email with slack, but there's no way to filter different issues within a project into different channels.

1 vote
Eliad Cohen March 5, 2019

+1

1 vote
Michael Evenchick December 11, 2018

+1

1 vote
Ducu Sultan October 24, 2018

Same here. It would be great to be able to filter by Component.

Tana Berry October 5, 2020

YASSSSss.. this is what I need, to be notified in Slack only if the Documentation component is applied.

1 vote
dawidpacia April 16, 2018

Faced the same problem. Issue filter or filter for other fields (label or component) would be enough

0 votes
Joel Mokoena December 3, 2019

What take for one to promote business

0 votes
Rob Boelhouwer May 10, 2019

Works like a charm!

Be live me am learning

0 votes
Rob Boelhouwer May 7, 2019

Need to have this!

Thats good

0 votes
BG April 29, 2019

+1

0 votes
Chris Milner April 12, 2019

+1 need to filter on a custom field.  Thanks!

0 votes
Anton Sharonov April 10, 2019

+1

0 votes
Calvin Cestari January 31, 2019

Needing and Label and Component filter too please. Is there a feature request ticket for that I should be watching instead?

Calvin Cestari January 31, 2019

My bad, that JSWCLOUD issue is exactly what I'm looking for.

0 votes
Lin De Lee January 18, 2019

+1 please do this

0 votes
David Riempp December 11, 2018

Same here! Come on Atlassian!

0 votes
Lachlan Emptage October 11, 2018

+ 1 same problem as above. Creating too much noise in the Slack channel 

0 votes
Valentin Bogdan Vasile October 5, 2018

+1 Add this feature to Slack integration there is no point of moving from Hipchat to Slack if this doesn't work.

0 votes
Patrick Kennel August 22, 2018

Come on Atlassian :-/

0 votes
Eugênio Veras June 11, 2018

+1

Suggest an answer