How to filter epic without any story created?

JQL_newbee April 12, 2023

How to filter epic without any story created? 

In the beginning of each sprint, I will create story's based on the epic . sometimes, one or 2 epic will be missed.

I want to have a JQL filter to avoid this mistake.

Could you help on this?

3 answers

2 votes
mauricio.groth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 12, 2023

Hi @JQL_newbee

I’m Maurício, a support engineer at Appfire and I’m here to help you.

Unfortunately, using JQL of Jira, you’ll not be able to do it dynamically.

In the app where my team works, JQL Search Extensions for Jira, you can use this function to find all the Epics without any story created:

storiesInEpicCount = 0

Please contact our support if you have any other questions about this query.

We’ll be happy to help you!

Best regards,
Maurício

0 votes
Jared Kells April 12, 2023

Are you trying to ensure that all Epics have some associated stories? I don't think you can do this with vanilla JQL but can do it with some marketplace add-ons. Have a look at this previous question: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Core-Server-questions/How-to-filter-epics-without-stories-by-using-JQL/qaq-p/1283443

0 votes
Michael Wohlgemuth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 12, 2023

Hello and welcome!

this filter will return all Epics in a given project. It can be refined further to only show ones in a particular status and similar stuff:

project = YOURPROJ AND issuetype = Epic

To use it, go to the issue search (in the top navigation menu), switch to the "advanced" search on the right hand side and enter the query (with adapting YOURPROJ to the project key youre interested in).

regards

Suggest an answer