How to filter all and Group similar issues with same root cause?

Ram Malapati January 13, 2020

I am looking to filter all the similar issues created/resolved and closed with same or identical root cause or for the same reason. Let's say simple example I am looking for is as below.

1. Password functionality = 15 total issues'
  2. User signup process= 12 issues
  3. Envrionment issues, outages etc= 10 issues

This will help me to find we have got these many issues from this workflow or functionality and to emphasize more on that specific functionality.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 13, 2020

Hello @Ram Malapati

I would recommend a labeling system to tag each of your issues (during detection, fix or resolution) and then filtering based on that. What are you currently using to discern between these root causes?

Thanks @Fernando Bordallo , i thought about using labels. But, curious to know if there is a gadget or something that can help to filter issues and present a Heat Map with Defect titles, Issue description etc. to find the similarities.

Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 13, 2020

What would you envision using as filter criteria?

Issue Description

Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
January 13, 2020

Hmmm ... 🤔 You'd have to be very strict with how descriptions are written and you wouldn't be able to enforce that a Description filled in by someone has an exact value within a subset. That tied to RegEx not being available for JQL searches I can't see this working as a solid way of filtering, given the scenario you propose.

I'd definitely recommend using a custom field (eg. Root Cause) holding a specific subset of values (dropdown style).

Ram Malapati January 14, 2020

Thanks, that makes sense. I used labels to filter the issues

Like Fernando Bordallo likes this
0 votes
Minh-Tran Bui October 6, 2021

Interesting topic that I am also interested in. 
Would there be a way to display all root causes labels on one page with the number of tickets linked to each root cause? I'm using label manager which does the job but not for custom fields I have the impression. 
Thanks!

Suggest an answer