Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to fail incoming Webhooks JQL search gracefully?

Hi,

I have been writing some project automation and using incoming Webhooks from GitHub which is working great but I have one minor non fatal problem.

To find the issue number I use the JQL search feature (Issues provided by running the following JQL search) that extracts the issue from the webhookData.
However in many cases the data will not contain an issue number and I would like the automation to just ignore this instead of failing with an error.

When the JQL search returns an empty key I get the following error:

Incoming webhook trigger failed to run JQL search:"(key = "") AND (project in (xxxx))" - The issue key '' for field 'key' is invalid.

And the rule fails with Some Errors but I would rather just fail the rule gracefully as this is a known case.

Is there anyway to achieve this and make an empty JQL search in the Webhooks just stop running the rule?

Thanks for any assistance.

2 answers

@Bill Sheboy sure hopefully this gives more context:

Heres the rule to find the issue in the webhook pull_request title...

Screenshot 2021-05-12 at 10.03.59.png

And the audit log if no issue is found the key is then empty so it shows with "Some errors"...

Screenshot 2021-05-12 at 10.04.23.png

Yup, that looks like a known issue: https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-1483

Hmmm... I wonder, if you use the "No issues from the webhook" option, and then later use the same JQL to check the webhookData and populate a Lookup Issues action.  Then you could check if the count is zero and fail gracefully.

Hi @Iain Simpson 

Would you please provide an image of your automation rule and audit log?  That may provide more context for the community to offer ideas.  Thanks!

Best regards,

Bill

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you