How to export "Log Work" fields to Excel

Paul Willman April 12, 2018

I'm working on creating an Excel report to show employees what tasks they logged time to in the last payroll cycle and how much time was logged.  I've identified the columns (aka fields) that I want in this as the "Log Work" columns.  This is a column that grows in number in an export, depending on the tasks that have the most work entries logged.

I found the forum thread that shows how to specify which columns to include in your "Selected Fields" for an export.  When I go to the list view and begin typing "Log Work", this is not a field that I can chose from.

I'm trying to avoid having to go through the "Export all Fields" process and get right to what I need - any thoughts on how I can do this?

4 answers

1 accepted

6 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Hunter _HeroCoders_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 17, 2019

I don't find a way to do it purely in Jira but there are tens of add-ons that can handle that.

Clockwork Automated Timesheets Pro allows getting a report (in your case grouped by users, issues, worklogs) and next export it to Excel. 

Clockwork Free can do it as well.

Below is an example screenshot:

clockwork.png

I hope it helps.

Cheers,
Jack

Paul Willman January 17, 2019

Thanks for looking into this, Jack.

I agree with you - I don't think that this can be done without outside assistance (aka add-ons).

Joan Suchoski August 9, 2021

@Jack Hunter _HeroCoders_ this free version of the app is exactly what I was looking for, thanks so much!

Jack Hunter _HeroCoders_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 16, 2021

You're welcome @Joan Suchoski

We make a living from delivering Pro versions of the apps, but we also want to give something to the community, hence the Free versions. 

Cheers,
Jack

3 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2018

The fields you are looking for is Time Spent.

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2018

The time tracking consist of three fields, Original Estimate, Time Spent and Remaining Estimate.

Like Elena Kupinic likes this
Paul Willman April 13, 2018

Sorry, but this is not the field I'm looking for - this one just sums up the entirety of all work logged against the task.  The fields that I want are the "Log Work" fields - I've only been able to find them when exporting all fields.  Each column contains a single entry of time against the subject and includes the description, the date/time, user who logged the work, and number of seconds they logged.

Like Tomasz Duda likes this
LCD November 2, 2021

I'm sure Paul would have discovered this by now but for anyone reading this looking for answers....

When exporting all fields, the field "ALL_LogWork" doesn't contain the date specified by the user when the logging the work. It contains the date stamp of when the user creates the log.

Why it works like this is a complete mystery to me. I'm trying to find a fix but it looks like this behaviour has been classified as a bug from 2017 and still hasn't been fixed.

2 votes
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 13, 2018

Select the Original Estimate, Spent Time and Remaining Estimate fields then use the "Selected fields" export option.

Or you can export each worklog (that is not a field, so the "selected fields" approach will not work) as explained here:

jira-issues-selected-fields-with-worklogs

Paul Willman April 13, 2018

This has to be done on a task-by-task basis, correct?

Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 14, 2018

Not necessarily.

It works with any number of issues, which can be one or more. You can input the issues using JQL.

If you look at the screenshot, the values in the Created column (K) are the creation dates of individual issues. In other words, my shot was taken about multiple issues, some issue having a single worklog (row 2), some having more (row 9-13), some having zero worklog (row 14).

I suggest you give this a try as it is more difficult to explain that to use.

Gregor Kasmann_Actonic
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 14, 2018

Hi Paul,

I agree with Aron here. Have a deeper look at JQL. It is very powerfull to filter your results down to the issues you really need to export, you will find a great intro to JQL by a blog entry done by Dan.

Like Akash MK likes this
Levente Szabo _Midori_
Marketplace Partner
February 8, 2022

As an additional resource, read our blog about how to export Jira worklogs to Excel >>

1 vote
Ashley Freeman January 16, 2019

Did you ever find an answer for this? I'm having the same issue, and don't want to just export all fields.

Paul Willman January 17, 2019

Ashley, unfortunately I did not find a native solution.  There appear to be a lot of add-ons that could do this, but I am not in a position to go this route (I have no budget and no authority to have my Confluence Admin team "just put it in" for me).

The other problem that I ran into before I gave up on this was that the data that is included in the export is the date & time that the time entry was made, not the date & time that the time entry is for.  That is, if I update my time entry in Jira on Friday, the export will show that I worked 40 hours on Friday (since that is when I entered all of my time for the entire week).

Fortunately (haha) for me, the project I was attempting this for was cancelled, so now we are back to not caring who is working on what when.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer