How to enable the field 'Component/s' while creating a Bug in JIRA?

Sendil Kumar August 18, 2022

While creating a new Bug in JIRA, I noticed that the field 'Component/s' is defaulted to value 'None' and is not editable.  Also same problem is seen with another field 'Components Involved/Impacted' where the value is defaulted to 'None' and the field is not editable as well.

Could you please help me know how to make those 2 fields viz. 'Component/s' and 'Components Involved/Impacted' editable?  Also, can we customize these 2 fields?

Please help.

Note:  Those 2 fields can be seen while creating a new issue in JIRA of type Bug and the issue in the edit mode.

1 answer

0 votes
Michael Andolfatto
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 18, 2022

Hi @Sendil Kumar ,

The Component/s field is a System Field with special behaviour. Component options are unique to the project they belong to, so if there are no options available when creating an issue you should verify that the project you're creating the issue in first has Components defined. (Note: they can only be created by the project's administrators)

Is the second field mentioned a text field or select list? It's possibly configured to set a value automatically depending on another field's settings or it may have been configured incorrectly for the project you're in.

Sendil Kumar August 19, 2022

Thanks Michael.  For the field 'Component/s', I realized that it has to be configured in the project profile.  I created few components and later when I try to create a bug, I could see those components in the Component/s field.  Not sure how to configure the other field 'Components Involved/Impacted' which is a select list.  Currently, it is showing 'None' as the default value and is not editable.  Any help on this field as to how to configure would be great.

Michael Andolfatto
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 19, 2022

Hi @Sendil Kumar ,

When you say that the fields are viewable in "edit mode" you mean that they appear when clicking on the edit button within an issue correct? Not just that they are visible in the issue details.

If not, the field needs to be added to the corresponding Edit Screen for the issue type you're trying to view. If it is already on the Edit Screen, then perhaps there is a custom field context that was configured for your project but never had values added.

To check for the Edit Screen:

• Have a user with Jira Admin permissions go to the project settings
  • Click on Screens in the left menu
  • Look for the issue type where this is relevant and see which screen is tied to the Edit operation
    image.png
  • Click on the screen tied to this operation
  • Add the field to the screen
  • Go back to your issue and refresh the screen to test again

To check the field context:

• Have a user with Jira Admin permissions go to the global configurations menu (Settings > Issues)
  • Click on the Custom Fields menu item
  • Locate the field: Components Involved/Impacted
  • Click the three dots on the Actions menu and select Configure
  • See what the field values are for the default context, compare them to any additional contexts that have been created
Sendil Kumar August 23, 2022

Thanks for the detailed response Michael.  But unfortunately none worked out for the below reason though I am the Admin for my project.

1.  I clicked on the link related to Edit Screen, a page loaded with list of fields but I found that they are not editable in any way.  I could see a message on top of the page stating that the fields are being used by other projects also and hence they are in read-only mode.

2.  I also went to the Project settings and clicked on Fields option but again, I found those fields on the page not editable and I did not find any Custom Fields menu item as well.  Also, there are no 3 dots available as well for configuring that field.

Suggest an answer