Next:
badges earned

Your Points Tracker
Challenges
Leaderboard
  • Global
  • Feed

Badge for your thoughts?

You're enrolled in our new beta rewards program. Join our group to get the inside scoop and share your feedback.

Join group
Recognition
Give the gift of kudos
You have 0 kudos available to give
Who do you want to recognize?
Why do you want to recognize them?
Kudos
Great job appreciating your peers!
Check back soon to give more kudos.

Past Kudos Given
No kudos given
You haven't given any kudos yet. Share the love above and you'll see it here.

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to embed images by URL in new Markdown Jira editor

The new updates to Jira are switching to a Markdown based editor. The section called "New Atlassian editor" talks about that editor, and provides a link to this Markdown cheatsheet:

https://www.markdownguide.org/basic-syntax

With Jira's old Wiki-style markup, I used to be able to embed an image by wrapping an absolute path to it in exclamation marks, like this:

!http://www.example.com/path/to/my/image.jpg!

How can I do this in the new editor? According to the markdown cheatsheet above, you should be able to do:

![some alt text](http://www.example.com/path/to/my/image.jpg)

... but that simply doesn't work. Here's a real URL to an image I want to embed:

https://www.evernote.com/l/ATPIbucavZdCq7tbT0FioQ6w3zvAZxYuiOoB/image.png

4 answers

Same here, would like the ability to embed image by its URL, useful to display continuous integration status badges (svg).

0 votes

HI Antun,

The formatting notations for the classic markup views can be found at https://YOUR_URL.atlassian.net/secure/WikiRendererHelpAction.jspa?section=all

However in the New editor and the editing view used in Next-gen Projects, is moving away from using wiki style markup to a WYSIWYG editing approach, using Quick add buttons, and drag and drop functionality, but currently does not include a method to add an image from External Web Links.

Currently when using the New editor and adding an attachment to a comment, you can either Drag and drop the image into the comment to place the image where your cursor is or use the Inset "Files and Images" link at the top of the comment to add in the image from a local file, or a file hosted on a connected Dropbox or Giphy:

Screen Shot 2019-07-09 at 3.24.10 PM.png

Also for adding images from an external link we are tracking this as a new feature at the following link, make sure to add a vote to help with prioritization efforts, and add yourself as a watcher to get updates n the status:

Regards,
Earl

Hi Earl,

Thanks for the detailed answer. In short, this isn't possible today, with the new editor.

JRACLOUD-70211 doesn't sound like it's the right issue. That ticket is about web *links* rather than embedding images from an absolute URL. If you look at the steps, you'll see they're related to links.

Is the ability to add images by absolute URL on the roadmap?

Thanks,

Antun

Like Phil Weighill-Smith likes this

Over 8 months later and no response to the question about being able to insert images by external URL. I am interested in this as well since we have recently started using Balsamiq wireframes within Jira Cloud and I want to link to the image rather than generate them as attachments. Doing this should ensure that the image is always up-to-date rather than possibly stale.

Hovering over a Balsamiq wireframe shows a control to get a URL link for the wireframe with a tooltip that literally says "Copy an image link to clipboard to embed it, e.g. in another Jira issue" but it is no longer possible to embed that link in a Jira issue due to this bizarre removal of capability.

Please, let's get external URL images back into the mix!

I also need this to display states badges in a confluence page

This is a basic editing feature I use constantly. The new Jira editor crippled my experience. Please prioritize either displaying local attachments in the “quick add button” or making it as easy to use markdown (ideally with inline preview while editing) with image links as it was to do `!attachment.png|width=100%` etc.

Thanks! 

Like Leonardo_Lindermann likes this

Been using Jira for 10+ years... inline images... markdown etc....

Just wow... 

Like Chris Penny likes this

Hello no answer but I vote for this basic funcionality.

This is especially useful when trying to create Issue comment with images through API .

0 votes

So someone copied and pasted images into the JIRA, but not in the inline text. Now, there is no way to easily get those attached images into the inline text. Really? this is an improvement? And every time you reference a JIRA in text it adds that instance as a link, so you can have 5 references to the SAME JIRA? Uh, I have no words.

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you