How to embed JIRA license key as part of JIRA config without entering it from the UI

Hello JIRA Users,

I am trying to apply the JIRA license contents in an automated way without manually inputting it from the First time JIRA setup within the UI once JIRA is started.

Is there a way to apply the license file in the JIRA home directory - which file name /location etc will this file be saved at. Where exactly is the license key stored within JIRA.

-G

4 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

To correct C. Faysal:

1. Figure out what property ID represents the license key. For new versions of jira it will be:
    select id from propertyentry where property_key = 'License20';

2. Now you can update the property, just replace the placeholders:

update propertytext set propertyvalue = #{license_key} where id = #{jira_license_prop_id};

Thank you! This helped me so much when my JIRA didn't want to run after an upgrade to 6.2.1 :-)

I've not seen Jira install the licence as a file. But you can poke it into the database.

(Sadly I can't remember where, it's been a while since I scripted it into a failover system - I'm pretty sure it's one of the propertyentry rows, but I'm not certain)

As nic said you can inject the license by sql statement. I need to be on a non-mobile device to view my backup script where i did exactly the same. I will post the cmd asap

here you go:

update propertytext set propertyvalue = '$jira_license' where ID = '10021'"

The only way I have been able to achieve this is by doing the entire install one time, say on a test box (including clicking around the wui) to obtain the fully formed response.varfile and to populate all of the needed XML files. Then I just wrote a bash script which performs the very same install using that "response.varfile" along with a copy the "dbconfig.xml" which was previously created.

Perform install w/response.varfile

Stop jira

Copy over dbconfig.xml to "jira data" directory

Verify permissions

Restart jira.

$!BOOM

With that that formula I am able to kickstart a fully usable jira box without touching the keyboard. I will note that this method "may" cause issues with licensing down the road, but if you are in a heavy dev-env which may involve flipping these installs like hotcakes then this might work for you.

Still working on combing this w/ the ~/bin/config.sh to setup https out the gate.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Tuesday in Jira

What modern development practices are at the heart of how your team delivers software?

Hey Community mates! Claire here from the Software Product Marketing team. We all know software development changes rapidly, and it's often tough to keep up. But from our research, we've found the h...

128 views 1 3
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you