How to efficiently migrate issue+subtasks to epic+issues

I have a user story with 20+ subtasks.

How can I efficiently change the user story into an epic, and convert the subtasks to user stories under that epic?

1 answer

0 vote
Tarun Sapra Community Champion Aug 11, 2017

1 ) Move  the story to Epic. 

2) Now, you have Epic with 20 sub-tasks, move the 20 sub-tasks using bulk udpate to "story" type.

Before bulk moving sub-tasks make sure the "create" issue screen of the story type has the mandatory field "Epic Link" thus when moving the 20 sub-tasks you can fill the mandatory field "Epic Link" and mention the issue key of the new Epic (step 1)

and it's done! Now you have Epic and 20 linked stories using Epic link field.

Tarun (or anybody who has done this) - 

In the 2nd step when doing a bulk operation is it initiated from Epic's (which was previously a Story) Subtask menu, as shown in Screenshot 1 below, rather than manually filtering for the subtasks in the "Search for Issues" navigation seen in Screenshot 2 below?

I hope it's the former rather than the latter since the "Search for Issues" options seems really clunky.

screenshot 1: bulk operation is it initiated from Epic

Screen Shot 2018-05-04 at 9.10.26 AM.png

screenshot 2: manually filtering for the subtasks in the "Search for Issues" navigation

Screen Shot 2018-05-04 at 9.19.07 AM.png

Tarun Sapra Community Champion May 07, 2018

Hi @Andrew C

You can click on "open in issue navigator" 4th option in your 1st screenshot and then "Move the issues" from the issue navigator view.

Please read here - https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracoreserver073/editing-multiple-issues-at-the-same-time-861257342.html#Editingmultipleissuesatthesametime-Movemultipleissues

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published yesterday in Jira

Mission-critical battery manufacturer fulfills FAA software requirements with Commit Policy Plugin

EaglePicher Technologies is a leading manufacturer of battery systems for diverse industries like defense, aviation, space or medical. As they operate in highly regulated industries, keeping a clear ...

118 views 0 2
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you