How to edit the start date of a Project Roadmap?

Sumaer Hussain January 28, 2020

Hi everyone, 

I am very new to Jira. 

So I created a new Project and new Roadmap for the Project. My first Epic started in January 2020. But the Project Roadmap shows all of 2019 as well. I don't need any of that. How do I only display the Roadmap starting from January 2020?

Thank you.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Hannah McKenzie
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 28, 2020

Hi @Sumaer Hussain, welcome to the Community!

If you click "Today" (top right), the roadmap should jump to the start of the first epic, and not show empty time before that. You can also zoom in or out by clicking the months/weeks/quarters dropdown. 

Here's some documentation as well, that you may find handy.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Hannah

Screen Shot 2020-01-28 at 5.56.09 PM.png

Like Hannah McKenzie likes this

I hope the above screenshot clarifies the issue a bit more. 

Hannah McKenzie
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 28, 2020

Thanks for that @Sumaer Hussain. Is it possible you have one epic hiding somewhere in 2019? The roadmap shouldn't be showing empty space like your screenshot displays. If there's definitely nothing you can scroll back and see, I'd suggest going here and reaching out to our team, so they can investigate properly for you and get it fixed asap.

Let me know if you experience any problems.

Sumaer Hussain January 29, 2020

Resolved. 

Thanks!

Daniel
Atlassian Team
January 29, 2020

Hey folks! Just a little bit of clarification here,

The Roadmap timeline is a fixed length, from -1 year, to +2 years from the day you open your Roadmap. It does not change based on the content you have within it. So this is expected behaviour.

Back when we first designed it, it was trying to strike the line between simplicity and usability.

Even though that bit of the timeline might not be useful to you now, you'll find as time goes on and your epics start to fade further back into the timeline that you might still want visibility on them for one reason or another (retrospectives, next FY planning, stakeholder meetings etc).

We always try to load your Roadmap up so that you are looking at todays date, and never into the past. So hopefully that bit of the timeline isn't too distracting for you. And if you lose your orientation, as @Hannah McKenzie mentioned, you can always click the today button.

Like # people like this
Mani Kumar Chagarlamudi November 24, 2021

Can Start date and End date in Epic synched with time line on Roadmaps? If I change the end date on Epic it is not reflecting on the Roadmaps. 

Like Datacenter Léni likes this

Suggest an answer