How to edit mention email template subject with Notification Helper

Joshua Smith August 18, 2017

I'd like to customize the email template for in the Notification Helper so that users don't receive a bunch of cruft. 

I use Notification Helper for all other notifications, but when I @mention someone the notification looks like useless computer barf. 

1 answer

0 votes
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 18, 2017

Hi Joshua,

There is an Atlassian knowledge base article titled Customizing email content.  Here are the basic steps:

1. Open JIRA and navigate to the following paths:
    • The WEB-INF/classes/templates/email/ of the <jira-application-dir> in your JIRA installation directory.
    • The jira/src/etc/java/templates/email/ in your extracted JIRA source directory.
  2. Under this directory there are three directories: html, text and subject. The html subdirectory contains the templates used to create emails in html, while the text directory the plain text mail outs. The subject directory contains the templates used to generate the subject of the emails. The templates are named after the event that will trigger the email.
  3. Bring the template up in your favorite text editor. Referring to the JIRA template documentation (particularly Velocity Context for Email Templates) and Velocity Users Guide, make the customizations you want.
  4. Restart JIRA

Take a look at the entire Customizing email content knowledge base for the full low down on how to customize these templates.

In addition, you may also want to try an add-on such as the Outgoing Email Template Editor for JIRA, however, it only goes up to JIRA 7.3.8 so that is one thing to take into consideration.

Cheers,

Branden

Suggest an answer